[comp.sys.dec] VS2000 operator console

awpsys@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Andrew W. Potter) (11/30/89)

Does anyone know how to redirect the console of a VAXStation 2000
(OPA0:) to one of the async ports?   We have a spare VS2000 without a
monitor that we want to use as a simple pcsa server and would like to
use it as a simple microvax.  The VS2000 is a one plane monochrome.

I known that the VS3100 systems have a switch.   Is there something
similar on the VS2000s, or do I have to remove the graphics board?

- Andy

ecf_hap@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Andrew Poling) (12/01/89)

In article <1671@ultb.isc.rit.edu> awpsys@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Andrew W. Potter) writes:

>Does anyone know how to redirect the console of a VAXStation 2000
>(OPA0:) to one of the async ports?   We have a spare VS2000 without a
>monitor that we want to use as a simple pcsa server and would like to
>use it as a simple microvax.  The VS2000 is a one plane monochrome.

No problem - go get yourself a console cable for a Microvax and plug it into
the printer port.  A cold boot will find your terminal being used as the
console.  I should note that my Ultrix 3.0 vs2000 decided to ignore
completely the VR260, keyboard, and mouse when I did this - even though they
remained attached.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a console cable is a printer cable
with certain pins shorted for recognition.

-Andy

Andy Poling                              Internet: andy@gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group                   Bitnet: ANDY@JHUVMS
Homewood Academic Computing              Voice: (301)338-8096
Johns Hopkins University                 UUCP: mimsy!aplcen!jhunix!gollum!andy

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/14/89)

In article <1671@ultb.isc.rit.edu> awpsys@ultb.isc.rit.edu (Andrew W. Potter) writes:
>Does anyone know how to redirect the console of a VAXStation 2000
>(OPA0:) to one of the async ports?   We have a spare VS2000 without a
>monitor that we want to use as a simple pcsa server and would like to
>use it as a simple microvax.  The VS2000 is a one plane monochrome.
>
>I known that the VS3100 systems have a switch.   Is there something
>similar on the VS2000s, or do I have to remove the graphics board?
>
>- Andy

If you take apart a VAXstation 2000, there's a switch inside that you
(whoops, a jumper) move to convert it to a MicroVAX 2000. It requires
serious disassembly of the box. After that, you can plug a DEC terminal
into serial port for the console.

You'll need a copy of a page from one of the manuals for th e machine.
I'm not sure where you can get one, however.

---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816