[comp.sys.dec] modem dial in AND out possible under Ultrix?

fischer@isaak.uucp (Frank Fischer) (12/15/89)

Hi,

I want to configure a MVAX II serial port for modem communication.
It should be possible to dial-in and to dial-out on the same serial
port.

I'm running Ultrix V2.2, the Modem is an ELSA Smart Box 2.

With SunOS this is possible by having 2 devices with the minor device
number of the incoming device set to  the minor device number of the out-
going device plus 128. Is something similar possible under Ultrix ?

Thanks in advance

Frank
ISA GmbH  -  Informationssysteme fuer computerintegrierte Automatisierung
Azenbergstr. 35, D-7000 Stuttgart 1, West-Germany, Phone: +49-711/22769-0
UUCP: ...{uunet!unido, pyramid}!isaak!fischer or fischer@isaak.UUCP
BITNET: fischer%isaak.uucp@unido.bitnet

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (12/16/89)

It is very easy under ULTRIX.  Just add "shared" to the appropriate lines
of your /etc/ttys file.  We do this on DECUAC --

ttyd0	"/etc/getty d1200" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
ttyd1	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
ttyd2	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
ttyd3	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect

I am real sure that this feature was added before version 2.2 which is
what you are running.  (current release is 3.1.)  But it is 2 A.M.

Fred

In article <2844@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
> It is very easy under ULTRIX.  Just add "shared" to the appropriate lines
> of your /etc/ttys file.  We do this on DECUAC --
>
> I am real sure that this feature was added before version 2.2 which is
> what you are running.  (current release is 3.1.)  But it is 2 A.M.

Yeah 2.2 sounds right.  The one warning is that your modem must be set
up for correct modem control, since the "sharing" relies on init being
unable to "open" the modem line since DSR isn't asserted unless there
is a call in progress.

If you have a "smart modem" this may require setting switches so that
DSR and CD are *not* asserted in "command mode"...

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (12/19/89)

In article <2844@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
->It is very easy under ULTRIX.  Just add "shared" to the appropriate lines
            ^^^^?
->of your /etc/ttys file.  We do this on DECUAC --
->
->ttyd0	"/etc/getty d1200" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
->ttyd1	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
->ttyd2	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
->ttyd3	"/etc/getty H2400" dialup	on shared modem	# dialup connect
->
->
->I am real sure that this feature was added before version 2.2 which is
->what you are running.  (current release is 3.1.)  But it is 2 A.M.
->

    "Easy" ?  Please don't tell me that. I've been knocking my brains out
  tring to get it to work, though I do know many Ultrix sites are using
  'shared' mode.
     I'm using genuine Hayes Smartmodem 2400's on an DMF-32 (VAX 11/750).
  Even though I've copied all related files from another Ultrix system,
  I still can't get 'shared' mode to work.
     Prehaps someone would be kind enough to tell me how the modem must be
  configured (i.e. contents of the significant S-registers, or a list of
  equivilant AT commands ).

   Thank you,
Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships:
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.

murphy@ufp.enet.dec.com (Rick Murphy) (12/19/89)

(Reference to dialin/out via DMF-32's...)

>     "Easy" ?  Please don't tell me that. I've been knocking my brains out
>   tring to get it to work, though I do know many Ultrix sites are using
>   'shared' mode.
>      I'm using genuine Hayes Smartmodem 2400's on an DMF-32 (VAX 11/750).
>   Even though I've copied all related files from another Ultrix system,
>   I still can't get 'shared' mode to work.
>      Prehaps someone would be kind enough to tell me how the modem must be
>   configured (i.e. contents of the significant S-registers, or a list of
>   equivilant AT commands ).
>
>    Thank you,

Never having tried it - I still have a few comments.
The DMF32 only has modem control for the first two ports. If you use it with
a modem on the rest of the ports there's no way for the system to determine
that a hangup has taken place. Huge security hole..
The second problem is a "feature" of the DMF's modem control ports - if
the CD signal isn't asserted, they drop incoming characters on the floor.
You can send "AT" to wake the modem, but the response gets eaten.
There is a command that can be used to tell the Hayes to assert carrier when
the autodialer is in operation; not having a Hayes manual, I can't tell
you offhand what it is - but that may be all you need to know to find it.
	-Rick

Rick Murphy, WA1SPT/4                   Digital Equipment, Landover, MD
murphy@ufp.dco.dec.com                 (UFP stands for United Federation
                                         of Planets - not what *you* were
decwrl!ufp.dco!murphy                    thinking!)
Disclaimer: I don't even speak for myself - my wife does!

In article <29435@prls.UUCP> gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) writes:
> In article <2844@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.dec.com writes:
> ->It is very easy under ULTRIX.  Just add "shared" to the appropriate lines
>
>     "Easy" ?  Please don't tell me that. I've been knocking my brains out
>   tring to get it to work, though I do know many Ultrix sites are using
>   'shared' mode.

This is a difficult combination.  To get shared modem support to work,
you must have to modem set up so that it doesn't assert DSR/CD when in
command/idle mode *and* then you have the problem that the DMF32 has a
hardware "feature" that prevents receiving anything unless these signals
are asserted.  This means that if you set up the modem so that it will
"share", you will have to send your modem commands "blind" i.e. no echo
of what you send the modem, no status codes...  The modemcap stuff has
some support for this blind mode, but reliability and debugging obvoiusly
suffer.

The best solution is to either write it off, or use a differnt interface
that isn't brain damaged.  A DZ11 is free and fine for 1200-2400 buad or
occasional 9600 baud use (it'll eat your cpu), DH11 emulators are also
almost free and seem to work pretty well.

hurf@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Hurf Sheldon) (12/21/89)

	I believe the original poster wanted to do this on a uVaxII -
	Don't you have to set up the flags in the device entry in
	/sys/conf/YOUR_SYSTEM to make this work?
	(you did under 1.2 using a dhv or dz)

--
     Hurf Sheldon			 Network: hurf@ionvax.tn.cornell.edu
     Lab of Plasma Studies		  Bitnet: hurf@CRNLION