[comp.sys.dec] 5810 installation report / DECnet Ultrix 3.0A

In article <9172@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

> 4) I ordered DECnet/Ultrix and DECserver 200, however there was a note on the
>    packing slip indicating that these were "unsupported" on the 5810 and that
>    they "weren't configured".  Actually, I recieved copies of the "VAX"
>    versions of these items.  Supposedly DECnet Ultrix 3.0A is the the "RISC"
>    version and is supposed to be "in the mail".   The DS200 stuff won't load
>    since the VAX 3.x base isn't present, however you can suck it off manually
>    since it's only a server image, shell script and release notes...

It turns out that somebody (not me for once!) screwed up the order and
actually ordered the VAX version of DECnet Ultrix.  I got a copy the right
tape (3.0A) today and installed it.

NOTE!!!

See Section 1.2.3 in the Ultrix 3.1C release notes when installing the
DECnet/Ultrix software!  There's some diddling you have to do before ncp
will recognize the device name (xna-0) for the DEBNI ethernet controller
used in the 5800 systems.  There is nothing about this in the DECnet/Ultrix
release notes...

After following the instructions given, you still have to do a further
"chmod u+x /usr/etc/dnet_check" if you want to run the check script...

I haven't gotten any clear answer about a "RISC" version of the DECserver 200
stuff yet...

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/05/90)

Regarding Goerge's
> I haven't gotten any clear answer about a "RISC" version of the DECserver 200
> stuff yet...

I thought someone had answered this.  The DECserver s/w is the same -- RISC
or VAX.  The SPD will be corrected later to indicate this, but the same
kit is used.

Fred (not speaking officially for Digital but I might just be right anyway :-))