[comp.sys.dec] Decnet-Ultrix

baker@gdwest.gd.com (Burt Baker) (01/05/90)

Hello, I have two questions and perhaps someone wil be kind enough
to help:

1) I'm running Decnet-Ultrix (3.0a) on a Decstation 3100s and
   am unable to communicate using rsh (tcp/ip) and dlogin (decnet)
   at the same time. If I shut down the Decnet process I am able
   to rsh/rlogin/ftp out. Has anybody else experienced problems
   while running Decnet ??

2) I have several spare rz55 drives on a server. I would like to
   partition the entire drive into a "g" partition but "chpt"
   will not allow me to do so. As a workaround I created a small
   (1024 blocks) "a" partition followed by a "g" partition. Is this
   really necessary ??

Thanks for the help,

Burt Baker

thomas@mipsbx.nac.dec.com (Matt Thomas) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan4.173203.14788@gdwest.gd.com>, baker@gdwest.gd.com
(Burt Baker) writes:
> 1) I'm running Decnet-Ultrix (3.0a) on a Decstation 3100s and
>    am unable to communicate using rsh (tcp/ip) and dlogin (decnet)
>    at the same time. If I shut down the Decnet process I am able
>    to rsh/rlogin/ftp out. Has anybody else experienced problems
>    while running Decnet ??

My guess is that the other system you're talking to hasn't flushed it's arp
cache.  When DECnet-ULTRIX starts up it changes the physical address of the
Ethernet Card to aa-00-04-00-XX-YY (where XX-YY is of the relation XX *
256 + YY
= a * 1024 + n (a.n)).  If the remote system doesn't flush it's arp cache,
it will recognize the system.  Since DECnet-ULTRIX is started before IP, you
should only experience this one (the first time DECnet-ULTRIX is installed).

If the remote system BSD-based, try doing a '/etc/arp -d yourname' on
the remote
system.  This will delete the arp entry from the arp cache.

> 2) I have several spare rz55 drives on a server. I would like to
>    partition the entire drive into a "g" partition but "chpt"
>    will not allow me to do so. As a workaround I created a small
>    (1024 blocks) "a" partition followed by a "g" partition. Is this
>    really necessary ??

Why not just the C partition?

--
Matt Thomas                     Internet:   thomas@decwrl.dec.com
DECnet-ULTRIX Development       UUCP:       ...!decwrl!thomas

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/05/90)

In article <1990Jan4.173203.14788@gdwest.gd.com> baker@gdwest.UUCP (Burt Baker) writes:

>1) I'm running Decnet-Ultrix (3.0a) on a Decstation 3100s and
>   am unable to communicate using rsh (tcp/ip) and dlogin (decnet)
>   at the same time.

I do this all the time and have no problem.  Never heard of this.

>2) I have several spare rz55 drives on a server. I would like to
>   partition the entire drive into a "g" partition but "chpt"
>   will not allow me to do so. As a workaround I created a small
>   (1024 blocks) "a" partition followed by a "g" partition. Is this
>   really necessary ??

No.  The whole partition is the c partition.  Use it.

Fred

envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) (01/05/90)

In article <2868@decuac.DEC.COM>, avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M.
Avolio) writes:
<
< No.  The whole partition is the c partition.  Use it.
<
< Fred

This is fine for a filesystem, but if you want to swap on it don't
you have to be careful not to overwrite the disk label at the beginning
of the disk?
_____________________________________
Brian V. Smith    (bvsmith@lbl.gov)
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
I don't speak for LBL, these non-opinions are all mine.

hubcap@hubcap.clemson.edu (System Janitor) (01/05/90)

> My guess is that the other system you're talking to hasn't flushed it's arp
> cache.  When DECnet-ULTRIX starts up it changes the physical address of the

Or maybe you've enabled IP before DECnet in your rc.local.

DECnet should come first.

-Mike

In article <4560@helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs@epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> In article <2868@decuac.DEC.COM>, avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M.
> Avolio) writes:
> <
> < No.  The whole partition is the c partition.  Use it.
> <
> < Fred
>
> This is fine for a filesystem, but if you want to swap on it don't
> you have to be careful not to overwrite the disk label at the beginning
> of the disk?

What I always do is change some partition (I use 'd') to refer to the
rest of the disk past the swap area.  This setup gives lots of flexibility -
I can use the b partition for swap or something like /usr/tmp depending
on my mood, and if I really want the whole drive then I use 'c'.

Remember then when you change the partition, the one your are changing
has to be unmounted and if you are changing 'a' you have to use 'c' or
if changing 'c' you must use 'a' else it doesn't matter.  after changing
it, you must do a newfs to actually get the benefit of the increased size.

How to:

# chpt -q /dev/rra1a
   < old info>
# bc
   < top of 'c' - bottom of 'd' or 'g' + 1 >
# chpt -pd x y /dev/rra1a
   < where 'x' is bottom of 'd' or 'g' and 'y' is size from above calc >
# chpt -q /dev/rra1a
   < verify that start / end of 'd' match bottom of 'd' or 'g' and that
     top matches top of 'c'.  Also that 'd' doesn't overlap 'a' or 'b'! >

it's easy after the first hundred or so times...

In article <1990Jan4.173203.14788@gdwest.gd.com> baker@gdwest.UUCP (Burt Baker) writes:

> 2) I have several spare rz55 drives on a server. I would like to
>    partition the entire drive into a "g" partition but "chpt"
>    will not allow me to do so. As a workaround I created a small
>    (1024 blocks) "a" partition followed by a "g" partition. Is this
>    really necessary ??

Remember that the "a" and "c" partitions include a fudge factor for the
disk label.  Chpt may be "protecting" you by not letting you overlay the
disk label with some random partition.

As others have pointed out, the "c" partition is already set up to define
the entire usable disk.  Make sure you avoid either explicit or implicit
(swap area) overlaps...