[comp.sys.dec] more Ultrix 3.1c notes...

This one doesn't show up in the release notes:

1) When you install the 3.1C tape, what used to be /usr/new/csh is installed
   as /bin/csh (presumably because of the quoting problems with the 3.x csh).
   This is the version that has command completion, command line retrieval/
   editing and idle autologout.

   It seems to work pretty well as /bin/csh, but you may want to warn your
   users that funny things will happen if they type escape and that they
   have to put "unset autologout" in their .login files if they want to
   disable the auto-logout.

   You may also want to create a link from /usr/new/csh to /bin/csh for
   compatibility's sake.

2) As in prevous 3.x releases, /bin/mail is actually a link to /usr/bin/mail.
   If users have /usr/bin before /usr/ucb in their search path, they will
   get the wrong version of mail.

   To avoid this, you can either fix all their .xyz files or move mail
   either back to /bin or perhpaps to /usr/etc.

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (01/10/90)

> 1) When you install the 3.1C tape, what used to be /usr/new/csh is installed
>    as /bin/csh ...

>    It seems to work pretty well as /bin/csh, but you may want to warn your
>    users that funny things will happen if they type escape and that they
>    have to put "unset autologout" in their .login files if they want to
>    disable the auto-logout.

I think they want to set autologout to 0 (set autologout=0), otherwise
it takes a default (2 hours?)

Fred

In article <2871@decuac.DEC.COM> avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

> > 1) When you install the 3.1C tape, what used to be /usr/new/csh is installed
> >    as /bin/csh ...
>
> >    It seems to work pretty well as /bin/csh, but you may want to warn your
> >    users that funny things will happen if they type escape and that they
> >    have to put "unset autologout" in their .login files if they want to
> >    disable the auto-logout.
>
> I think they want to set autologout to 0 (set autologout=0), otherwise
> it takes a default (2 hours?)

Gee Fred, no faith...

Either works - each time /usr/new/csh (aka csh here) starts up, it sets
autologout to 60.  Either setting it to zero or unsetting it disables the
autologout feature.

Note that it doesn't get inherited, so it seems that you really want to
put it in your .chsrc rather than .login as I suggested the first time
around...

Obviously, this implementation is a leetle bit questionable...

frank@croton.enet.dec.COM (Frank Wortner) (01/10/90)

In article <9247@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
[Regarding the possibility of invoking the "wrong" mail program if /usr/bin is searched before
/usr/ucb ...]

>    To avoid this, you can either fix all their .xyz files or move mail
>    either back to /bin or perhpaps to /usr/etc.

It is easier to move mail to /bin than to /usr/etc.  If you do, change the link in /bin to
point to the new location.  The delivered /etc/sendmail.cf has mail being /bin/mail,
/usr/ucb/Mail (a.k.a. /usr/ucb/mail) believes that mail lives in /bin, and I'm sure that
there are other programs that assume they "know" where mail lives.

							Frank