[comp.sys.dec] Unibus Adapter for 6410?

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (01/09/90)

We find ourselves with a VAX 6410, a VAX-Station 3100, and a 42" Versatec
plotter with no apparent way to interconnect the plotter to either host.
Please send me mail if anyone knows how to efficiently (cheeply) connect
the plotter to one or both hosts?

My DEC Rep sugggested I buy another VAX as a plot server.  PLEEESEEE!  There
must be a better way!?

Ed Mills
Harris Semi
Melbourne, FL

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (01/09/90)

Best case you use the 3100's "modem" port; worst case you get a generic terminal
server or a DMB.

In article <894@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
> We find ourselves with a VAX 6410, a VAX-Station 3100, and a 42" Versatec
> plotter with no apparent way to interconnect the plotter to either host.
> Please send me mail if anyone knows how to efficiently (cheeply) connect
> the plotter to one or both hosts?

Ya didn't say VMS or Ultrix, so I'll assume you mean Ultrix.

I see a few options -

1) get DEC to admit whether the Ultrix Unibus stuff still works on the
   6400 series even though it's "not supported".  The BI->Unibus hardware
   is the same as on other BI based systems so there's no obvious reason
   why not.

2) Buy a Versatec VPS ethernet plotter server...

3? Buy a used 750 for a song, or if Versatec has a Q-bus I/F a Microvax II.
   You could also probably pick up a Sun 2 and a Sytek plotter interface
   pretty cheap.

4? Investigate 3-rd party plotter controllers.  There's something called
   (I think) as KMW box that is frequently used in the PC world that
   provides a serial/parallel I/F.  I don't know if there's anything
   SCSI or the like available.

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (01/09/90)

One exists but its a bad idea to use it if you need to.  Surely Versatec makes some host adaptor other than a UNIBUS board?

ereiamjh@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Tom B O'toole) (01/09/90)

In article <894@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
>My DEC Rep sugggested I buy another VAX as a plot server.  PLEEESEEE!  There
>must be a better way!?
If the versatec can only be connected via unibus, and you really need it, then
I think your DEC rep is right. The unibus adapter will set you back a lot,
even if you have the slots on the BI to add the adapter, and buy a cheap
unibus backplane and cabinet from a used dealer.  If you need to expand your
BI, then you are really getting into big money. Unfortunately the unibus
adapter works best on a dedicated BI, and having one on a BI being shared with
a lot of other I/O can hurt the other devices performance. If you check with
the used dealers, I bet you will find that you can get a complete vax 730
system for under 2K. Then you can place the device on the 730 and run async
decnet between the two machines (or spring for an ethernet controller for
better performance). I agree that this is kind of messy, but it is a last
resort if you really need this particular (unibus only) plotter. And it is
still a lot cheaper than getting into the unibus adapter hassle if this is
the only piece of unibus equipment you need on the system.
--
Tom O'Toole - ecf_stbo@jhuvms.bitnet     "Internet is the wide area network
JHUVMS system programmer       protocol packaged with TCP/IP that unix systems

tamura@versatc.versatec.COM (Mark Tamura) (01/10/90)

In <894@soleil.UUCP>, eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes,
>  We find ourselves with a VAX 6410, a VAX-Station 3100, and a 42" Versatec
>  plotter with no apparent way to interconnect the plotter to either host.

   If these machines are running ULTRIX, use another Unix machine on the
   network to do remote line printing.  These machines include a Sun-3 or
   Sun-4 under SunOS 3.X or 4.X with VME, VAX or MicroVAX under ULTRIX with
   Q-bus or Unibus.

   Upgrade your RPM to a ethernet plot server.

   Talk to Versatec sales about future products.

   -mt
--
Versatec, A Xerox Company      ARPA: Mark_S_Tamura.SCB1Versatec@Xerox.COM
2710 Walsh Avenue, MS 1-7      UUCP: {ames,apple,pyramid}!versatc!tamura

In article <894@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
> We find ourselves with a VAX 6410, a VAX-Station 3100, and a 42" Versatec
> plotter with no apparent way to interconnect the plotter to either host.

Please remember to specify minor detail like which operating system you
are using...  In this case the solution set varies considerably depending
on whether you prefer Ultrix or VMS.

In this case, I think you've gotten both sets - I assumed Ultrix since
with VMS you simple pay $$$ and get the BI-Unibus I/F and whatnot...

BTW, we went with the VPS solution a while back and it seems to work
pretty well.  Of course it's many months later and we're still waiting
for Versatec to deliver a version of their Scicards/Fastplot software
that knows how to talk to the thing...  You get HPGL and a nice speedup
over the REP or software based rasterizers.

Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Mallory) (01/10/90)

 EA> We find ourselves with a VAX 6410, a VAX-Station 3100, and a 42"
 EA> Versatec
 EA> plotter with no apparent way to interconnect the plotter to either
 EA> host.
 EA> Please send me mail if anyone knows how to efficiently (cheeply)
 EA> connect
 EA> the plotter to one or both hosts?

Do you have a Unibus controller for the plotter?

--

	Frank Mallory at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org

carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) (01/11/90)

In article <894@soleil.UUCP> eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) writes:
>My DEC Rep sugggested I buy another VAX as a plot server.  PLEEESEEE!  There
>must be a better way!?
>Ed Mills

I recently asked my DEC rep how he would operate LAT and TCP on the same
Ethernet, and he recommended I buy another VAX as a TCP terminal server.

Digital has it now.

	Jeff Carroll
	Boeing D&SG
	carroll@atc.boeing.com