[comp.sys.dec] Wanted: Make-like util

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/02/90)

In article <3487@uceng.UC.EDU>, schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
> Please excuse this if this subject has been hashed lately - I just now
> subscribed to this newsgroup.
>
> The company where I work has a _LARGE_ software product, comprising
> dozens and dozens of source files, on a VAX under VMS. Every time
> someone makes a change to even one of these files, they run a .COM
> file which compiles and links _EVERY SINGLE FILE_, even those which
> have not changed.
>
> Coming from a Unix background, I enjoyed the incremental-build program
> 'make'.  Is there a Public-Domain VMS version of a Make-like program?
> I know DEC has their own version (not make-like), but my employer
> can't justify the expense (obviously they don't have to sit through
> a >1 hr build for one changed file!).
>
> If a PD version is not available, please recommend some products which
> would fit the bill (i.e. not too expensive).

From the Fall 1989 DECUS VAX-LT SIG tape.  Source is about 100k and written in
'C'.  I can send it to you or post it.

	The contents of this directory constitute MAKE/VMS version 3.4
	by  Todd  Aven/the Software Sweatshop. This   is  a  UNIX make
	look-alike optimized for the VMS environment.  Much effort has
	been expended  to keep  makefiles as closely   compatible with
	UNIX  makefiles as  possible,  but some  differences naturally
	arise.

	Please  refer to  MAKE.DOC or MAKE.HLP  for online information
	about  MAKE. The most recent  modifications  are documented in
	RELEASE.V33.

	Two example makefiles are provided,  MAKEFILE. and  PMDF.MAKE.
	Simply running MAKE.EXE *should* rebuild MAKE (if necessary).

	Comments, suggestions, and bug reports should be directed to
	one of 	the addresses at the end of MAKE.DOC.

	Todd Aven
	6/1/89

Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2