[comp.sys.dec] CPU ID for Decstation 3100

sparks@etch-eshop.Berkeley.EDU (Jay Sparks) (01/18/90)

Is it possible for me to easily obtain the CPU ID
on my Decstation 3100?  The software salesman plans to
use it to restrict distribution of the program.
Thank you,

Jay Sparks

rwood@dec.com (Richard Wood) (02/03/90)

sparks@etch-eshop.berkeley.edu (Jay Sparks) writes:

> >>Is it possible for me to easily obtain the CPU ID
> >>on my Decstation 3100?  The software salesman plans to
> >>use it to restrict distribution of the program.

> >The normal method on the DECstation is to use the ethernet controller's
> >ethernet address, which is guaranteed to be unique. Note that you must

> 			 ... If the customer has to get the ethernet
> board replaced, or otherwise requires service that causes the hardware
> configuration to change, they are stuck with n pieces of broken software
> from n vendors.

In many (most?) cases, the hardware ethernet address is in a PROM that
is socketed for this very reason.  When a board breaks, take the socket
out and plug it into the replacement - it'll be the same I.D., ergo no
broken software.

Of course, in the unlikely even that it is the PROM that breaks, you're
out of luck.

*UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T in the U.S. and other countries.
Richard Wood     Corporate Worksystems Team      Digital Equipment Corp.
[Not an official spokesman yet...]