[comp.sys.dec] Motif *unavailable* from Digital?

mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) (02/02/90)

Our DEC salesman informed me today that MOTIF is not a DEC
product yet, is under beta test, and will be available
by the end of 1st quarter '90.

Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.

Michael Fingerhut

quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) (02/02/90)

In article <78179@uunet.UU.NET>, mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) writes...
{
{Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.
{
{Michael Fingerhut

What do you find hard to believe. Digital has an excellent X11 Environment
(XUI). To strengthen it's commitment to the OSF, DEC intends to migrate to a
MOTIF based environment over time. To avoid causing problems for it's existing
installed base, this migration will not happen in one major release.
Motif is available under a beta test type agreement to software vendors. Those
that need it now, have access to it. THose that don't need it now, will get it
in the near future.

Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling
Nashua, NH.                      I disclaim everything!!!
				 These are my opinions, not my employers...

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/02/90)

In article <78179@uunet.UU.NET>, mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) writes:
> Our DEC salesman informed me today that MOTIF is not a DEC
> product yet, is under beta test, and will be available
> by the end of 1st quarter '90.

You can get Motif right now from OSF.  A tuned, bug-fixed, complete
(including UIL) version of Motif with some useful Motif applications
will be available from DEC soon.  Also scheduled are making Motif a
standard part of DECwindows (replacing the DECwindows widget set, etc.)
and porting all the DECwindows applications to Motif.  Your sales rep
should have exact dates and details.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

devin@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Devin Hooker) (02/02/90)

In article <8015@shlump.nac.dec.com> quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) writes:
[...]

	I need it now.  How do I get it?  Thanks.
			-Devin

jen@mips.COM (Fred Jen) (02/02/90)

Quodling) writes:
> !In article <78179@uunet.UU.NET>, mf@uunet.UU.NET (mf) writes...
> !{Our DEC salesman informed me today that MOTIF is not a DEC
> !{product yet, is under beta test, and will be available
> !{by the end of 1st quarter '90.
> !{Is this really true?  I find it hard to believe.
> !{Michael Fingerhut
> !What do you find hard to believe. Digital has an excellent X11 Environment
> !(XUI). To strengthen it's commitment to the OSF, DEC intends to
migrate to a
> !MOTIF based environment over time. To avoid causing problems for it's
existing
> !installed base, this migration will not happen in one major release.
> !Motif is available under a beta test type agreement to software
vendors. Those
> !that need it now, have access to it. THose that don't need it now,
will get it
> !in the near future.
> !Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
> !Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling
> !Nashua, NH.                      I disclaim everything!!!
> !				 These are my opinions, not my employers...
>
> 	I need it now.  How do I get it?  Thanks.
> 			-Devin

You should just get a copy from OSF, it's not very expensive.  My
co-workers and
I have been running MWM for the past 6-8 months.  We have not seen any
problems.

If you want to build it, just get a clean copy of X11R3 from MIT and build it
first before building MOTIF itself.

I believe the current verion of MOTIF can't be build with X11R4 libraries,
unless, you make some changes.  MOTIF version 2.0 suppose to fix that problem.

X11R3 version of MWM will work with X11R4 server and clients applications.
We've been using X11R4 clients since it was first released.

Hope this will help.

-Fred Jen
UUCP: {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4,hplabs}!decwrl!mips!jen
DOMAIN: jen@mips.com
USPS: MIPS Computer Systems, 930 Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086, (408) 991-7807

quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) (02/03/90)

In article <16459@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, devin@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Devin Hooker) writes...
{In article <8015@shlump.nac.dec.com> quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) writes:
etc....

To get Motif, you can

1.Contact OSF Directly (11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA, 02142)

2. Contact Integrated Computer Solutions (163 Harvard St, Cambridge, MA)
   (or mail info@ics.com)  They had a recent posting in comp.newprod about
   their offering.

3. Get you DEC Sales Rep to contact the Digital Product Manager (refer them to
   the sales update article on Motif dated 27-nov-89 (vol 21 #11) (I don't like
   giving out other peoples names without their permission).

   Option 3 is the only viable option if you are a VMS site, I believe.

marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/04/90)

In article <8015@shlump.nac.dec.com> quodling@bunyip.dec.com (Peter Quodling) writes:

>What do you find hard to believe. Digital has an excellent X11 Environment
>(XUI). To strengthen it's commitment to the OSF, DEC intends to migrate to a

	Mhmm. XUI and excellent. Knowing XUI more than I would like to,
	I blame it for everything that I am finding screwy in Motif.
	All those "hidden shells", totally closed widget set etc...
	( but that's a personal bias, so please forgive me ...)

	But anyway. Making Motif available to BETA sites does not
	mean that those who need it can and will be able to get it.

	1) Nobody knows about the beta program.

	2) Even if you know about it, it does not mean you will get
	   on the program.

--
Martin Brunecky                   marbru@auto-trol.COM