[comp.sys.dec] Merits of two DS5400's vs. one DS5810?

steinar@fram.uio.no (Steinar Kj{rnsr|d) (02/01/90)

In article <9400@cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George
Robbins) writes:

> I'm afraid that the I/O performance numbers have too much jelly to be
> meaningful unless your local dec people were able to bring you into contact
> with someone who has actually done some performance evaluation.

The Department of Informatics, University of Oslo has done a fairly
thorough performance survey of both the DS3100 and DS5400. A report
can be retrieved by anonymous ftp from ifi.uio.no. Look in the 'pub'
directory for the file DSxxxxbench.PS.Z (compressed Postscript). Please
drop me a note if you retrieve the file, I know our local Digital
office wants to know ..

The report addresses topics discussed in comp.sys.dec and
comp.unix.ultrix lately.

 +==================================================================+
 !                                                                  !
 !      Steinar Kjaernsroed, 					    !
 !	Dpt. of informatics,					    !
 !      University of Oslo,					    !
 !      P.O.Box 1080, Blindern,					    !
 !	0316, Oslo 3, 						    !
 !	NORWAY							    !
 !                                                                  !
 !      Phone:             047+2+453460 (work), 		    !
 !      Email:             steinar@ifi.uio.no      (Internet)       !
 !                         ..!mcvax!ifi!steinar 	(UUCP)	    !
 !          							    !
 +==================================================================+

grunwald@foobar.colorado.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (02/02/90)

I've put a copy of this report on foobar.colorado.edu, for people
who'd like to save the transatlantic flight.

it'll be there for about a week.

steinar@fram.uio.no (Steinar Kj{rnsr|d) (02/06/90)

Thanks to all those of you who responded to the DSxxxx performance report
I provided, but I'm afraid the report contained an error:

At the bottom of page 7 and in figure 2, page 8, the number '2000' should be
'20000'. Since I no longer can (or want to!) control the future distribution
of this document, I  kindly ask those of you who retrieved a copy to either
correct the number or retrive a new version from ifi.uio.no.

I'm sorry  to bother all comp.unix.ultrix readers with this kind of "noise".

 !      Steinar Kjaernsroed, 					    !
 !	Dpt. of informatics,					    !
 !      University of Oslo,					    !
 !      P.O.Box 1080, Blindern,					    !
 !	0316, Oslo 3, 						    !
 !	NORWAY							    !