[comp.sys.dec] Vax 8650 memory upgrade?

lucchina@hsi.UUCP (Paul Lucchina) (02/07/90)

The company I work for just purchased a 16 Mb array of memory.  The
board is manufactured by Standard Memories (P/N Pincomm 860SX).

The memory backplane is configured as follows:

	slot1	L0200	rev BE
	slot2	EMC Corp 16 Mb array (p/n 240-121-903)
	slot3	Standard Memories 16 MB array (p/n 860SX)
	slot4	empty
	slot5	L9200	rev B1
	slot6	empty
	slot7	empty
	slot8	L9200	rev B1
	slot9	L0222	rev B3

When the system was configured with just the DEC 4 MB board and the EMC
16 MB board no diagnostics were reported.  When the Standard Memories array
was added the following messages printed on the console after CPU
initialization.

	Warning: this system has a memory configuration that
	is unsupported and untested by Digital Equipment Corp.

The micros ran fine on all 36 MB of memory and Berkeley 4.3 BSD booted fine
and is currently running without any problems so far.

Does anybody know what could be causing this message to appear?
--
Paul J. Lucchina				...!uunet!hsi!lucchina
Health Systems International			lucchina@hsi.com

In article <1100@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> lucchina@hsi.UUCP (Paul Lucchina) writes:
> The company I work for just purchased a 16 Mb array of memory.  The
> board is manufactured by Standard Memories (P/N Pincomm 860SX).
>
> The memory backplane is configured as follows:
> When the system was configured with just the DEC 4 MB board and the EMC
> 16 MB board no diagnostics were reported.  When the Standard Memories array
> was added the following messages printed on the console after CPU
> initialization.
>
> 	Warning: this system has a memory configuration that
> 	is unsupported and untested by Digital Equipment Corp.

Our 8600 has 16 MB of DEC 4 MB memory and 32MB of EMC 16MB memory (if I recall)
and prints out the same error message everytime you boot.  It doesn't seem to
have any practical import.  I don't know whether DEC was just trying to match
specific configurations or perhaps error reporting or some other minor detail
might be getting confused.  In any case, it's been running (VMS) this way for
several years now without difficulty.