[comp.sys.dec] MicroVAX 3100 - Model 10

dls@lanl.gov (Dale L Schrage) (02/09/90)

Does anyone out there have any experience using a micro-VAX 3100
Model 10 with UNIGRAPHICS (or some other) CAD????????????

At the present time we have the following system:

		micro-VAX-II
		16 Mbyte memory
		RD54 system disk
	    (2) RD53 user disks

We run four MEGATEK D135 workstations. The MEGATEK's ahve graphics
processors, 1 MByte of memory, and will do 400K vectors/second.
All of our CAD work is currently done in 3-D wireframe and
we will shortly commence extensive use of the solid modeler.
The micro-VAX-II is both CPU-bound and disk I/O bound.
Our local DEC sales rep has suggested a Micro-VAXX 3100 Model 10
(not a VAXSTATION 3100) with 20 Mbytes of memory plus a
600 Mbyte disk. This disk is an RZ55 (24 msec acces & 1.5 Mbytes/sec
transfer rate; the existing RD's are 38 msec access and 625 KBytes/sec
transsfer rate). The 3100 utilizes SCSI, not Q-bus, so there
are limited options for peripherals.
The 3100 is rated at 3.9 VUPS verses 0.9 VUPS for the Micro-VAX-II.
It looks like I might improve both the CPU-bound as well
as the I/O bound situation but neither by very much.

Any experience or advice out there??????????????????????

In article <43218@lanl.gov> dls@lanl.gov (Dale L Schrage) writes:
> Does anyone out there have any experience using a micro-VAX 3100
> Model 10 with UNIGRAPHICS (or some other) CAD????????????
> At the present time we have the following system:
>micro-VAX-II >	16 Mbyte memory > RD54 system disk > (2) RD53 user disks
> The micro-VAX-II is both CPU-bound and disk I/O bound.
> Our local DEC sales rep has suggested a Micro-VAXX 3100 Model 10
> (not a VAXSTATION 3100) with 20 Mbytes of memory plus a
> 600 Mbyte disk.
> The 3100 is rated at 3.9 VUPS verses 0.9 VUPS for the Micro-VAX-II.
> It looks like I might improve both the CPU-bound as well
> as the I/O bound situation but neither by very much.

I'd put some more effort into evaluating alternatives.  A lot depends on how
much money you want to spend.  You can probably do wonders with your MV-II
by doing the MV-III upgrade and switching to a higher performance disk
subsystem.

The relation between your grahpics devices and the system isn't very clear,
but if you need a "powerful" supporting host, you may want to look at the
3800 type systems or the 3520/40 (ignore the graphics, count VUPS).  Some
of these things get pretty expensive, however a lot of the difference is
from perhipherals/memory/VMS licenses bundled with the configuration rather
than CPU price.