[comp.sys.dec] Setting up LAT printers on DS3100... help...

bob@cs.utah.edu (Bob Wheeler) (02/09/90)

Has anyone tried to do reverse LAT from a DECstation 3100
to set up a printer? We have a Datability terminal server that
we have used to set up printers for a VMS node and we would
like to add another printer for the ULTRIX node.

I created the LAT devices (they seem to work, we can log in via
the terminal server)

I then went into /etc/tty and changed one of the LAT lines to

tty16	none 	    	      vt100	off

I then did "kill -HUP 1" to set it up.

Then I edited the printcap file and did...

lp|lp0:\
	:af=/usr/adm/lpacct:\
	:br#9600:\
	:fc#0177777:\
	:fs#03:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lperr:\
	:lp=/dev/tty16:\
	:mc#20:\
	:mx#0:\
	:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:\
	:op=PORT_19:\
	:pl#66:\
	:pw#80:\
	:rw:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
	:ts=DENISE:\
	:xc#0177777:\
	:xf=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:\
	:xs#044000:

Terminal server DENISE has many printers on it that work from the
VMS side.

Then I did a "lcp -h /dev/tty16:DENISE:PORT_19" to reserve the port
for host initiated requests.

When I print to the device it can't connect, when I copy a file to /dev/tty16
it says...

# cp printcap /dev/tty16
cp: /dev/tty16: Can't assign requested address
#

Any ideas??

    	thanks in advance,

    	Bob Wheeler
    	U. of Utah Physics Department
    	(801) 581-6203

In article <1990Feb9.034955.28337@hellgate.utah.edu> bob@cs.utah.edu (Bob Wheeler) writes:

> Has anyone tried to do reverse LAT from a DECstation 3100
> to set up a printer?...
> Then I did a "lcp -h /dev/tty16:DENISE:PORT_19" to reserve the port
> for host initiated requests.

As a starting point, the lcp -h with server/port and the printcap entry are
more or less mutually exclusive.  lcp -h does a static association of the LAT
port with a tty device and the printcap entry does a dynamic assocation.

Try just using the lcp -h /dev/ttyXX form and see if that gets you any further.
You may get some message is your lp-error log file if you're lucky...

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/10/90)

I have my DECstation 3100 set up for it.  Enclosed is  my printcap file,
and the lcp command from rc.local.

printcap:

# @(#)printcap	3.2	(ULTRIX)	4/13/87
lp|lp0|lps|ps|local ln03r lat printer:\
	:lp=/dev/tty08:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
	:op=PORT_4:\
	:ts=LAT_08002B04F159:\
	:br#9600:\
	:fc#0177777:\
	:fs#023:\
	:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof:rw:\
	:xf=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:\
	:xc#0177777:\
	:xs#040040:\
	:mx#0:pw#80:pl#66:
lp1|1|local ln03s lat printer:\
	:lp=/dev/tty07:\
	:sd=/usr/spool/lpd1:\
	:lf=/usr/adm/lpd-errs:\
	:op=PORT_2:\
	:ts=LAT_08002B04F159:\
	:br#9600:\
	:fc#0177777:\
	:fs#023:\
	:of=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:\
	:if=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03of:rw:\
	:xf=/usr/lib/lpdfilters/xf:\
	:xc#0177777:\
	:xs#040040:\
	:mx#0:pw#80:pl#66:

lcp command:

[ -f /etc/lcp ] && {
	/etc/lcp -s -h /dev/tty07 -g 0,60,62,101,103 \
	-V "Fred's U-Word Machine" -N "Fred's U-Word Machine" & \
	echo -n ' lat'	>/dev/console
}

HAL@cc.usu.edu (02/14/90)

In article <1990Feb9.034955.28337@hellgate.utah.edu>, bob@cs.utah.edu (Bob Wheeler) writes:
> Has anyone tried to do reverse LAT from a DECstation 3100
> to set up a printer? We have a Datability terminal server that
> we have used to set up printers for a VMS node and we would
> like to add another printer for the ULTRIX node.

We had the same problem with the Datability terminal server.  Printing
or copying from VMS worked just fine but not from Ultrix.  Our solution
was to get a ROM upgrade from the Datability folks.  The terminal server
needs to be at rev level 2.72 or better if memory serves me correctly.
In any event call the Datability people they can set you straight.  If
you need help with lcp or printcap let me know.

hal

DECnet:	  usu::hal, usumua::hal
Internet: hal@cc.usu.edu, hal@mua.usu.edu
phone:	  (801)750-2380