[comp.sys.dec] Ultrix 3.1C Patch Tape

Well, the elusive Ultrix 3.1C Patch Tape finally showed up in the mail today,
courtesy of DEC software distribution and Federal Express.

The package was labeled as a "Mandatory Patch", so presumably anyone who was
shipped 3.1C will receive it in due course.

It apparently fixes an assortment of problems including: DMB crash, qutoacheck,
csh "source" memory eater, getting "core" files, mt, ln driver, panic: tblmis,
NFS locking and 13 LAT items.

Also included was a copy of the UWS 2.0 "Unsupported" tape with a note that
this is the source of the Ultrix Unsupported software.

I'll have to give this stuff a try tonight...

In article <9658@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> Well, the elusive Ultrix 3.1C Patch Tape finally showed up in the mail today,
> courtesy of DEC software distribution and Federal Express.

Warning: if you have the special /usr/lib/lpd that is part of the lps20 print
server client support, the patch installation silently over-writes the special
daemon with a corrected version of the standard 3.1C printer daemon.  This
makes your lps20 kind of stop working.  (I assume the same for the lps40).

In article <9665@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> In article <9658@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> > Well, the elusive Ultrix 3.1C Patch Tape finally showed up in the mail today,

Yet another gotcha...

The patch tape overwrites the 3.1C /bin/csh with a different csh that doesn't
contain the command completion (like tenex-csh) stuff.  Assuming you started
with 3.1C this leaves you with no command-completion shell and your users
will likely come visit.

So, before installing the patch tape, you might want to copy /bin/csh over
to /usr/new/csh and improve whatever "tcsh" or other links you had in for
compatibility to point there.

I don't know if the "new" shell is the standard csh with the all the bugs
fixed or what.  The 3.1C csh had some minor bugs where sourcing a file
(including .login/.cshrc) that had errors would cause it to eat as much
virtual memory as it could get.  This caused near-system hangs while the
shell was gorging, but once the offending stuff was fixed wasn't a problem.

1c1
< bin/csh_3.1C
---
> /bin/csh_3.1C_patch
7,12d6
< 	tenex.c	1.1	(ULTRIX)	2/20/89
< 	sh.editglue.c	1.1	(ULTRIX)	2/20/89
< 	sh.edit.c	1.1	(ULTRIX)	2/20/89
< 	tgoto.c	4.1 (Berkeley) 6/27/83
< 	tputs.c	4.1 (Berkeley) 6/27/83
< 	termcap.c	1.1	ULTRIX	2/24/89
25d18
< 	alarm.c	1.1	(ULTRIX)	2/21/89

BTW: the order/reference number for the patch package is AV-PBPAA-TE