[comp.sys.dec] help needed setting up a VAXStation 3100

doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W O'neal) (02/13/90)

I am trying to set up a VAXStation 3100 for a department here and am having
trouble getting it to recognize the scsi disk.  The station and the TK50 came
from DEC and I have no problems recognizing the tape drive when it is the only
external device.  However, when I daisy-chain the disk (an ANDATACO 663MB scsi
disk), neither devices show up in a show device command.  When I take off the
TK50 and do a show device, I get back that there is a 663MB disk at address
1 on scsib.  I then do a test 6 (test on scsib) and get a return error code
of 84 = "internal request not set following bus free".

Has anybody seen/fixed this problem before?  Does anyone have this configuration
working?  Thanks in advance.
--
Doug O'Neal                  Distributed Systems Programmer
Homewood Academic Computing  doug@jhuvms.bitnet, doug@jhuvms.hcf.jhu.edu

WYMAN@ASC.SLB.COM (Doug.Wyman) (02/16/90)

In article <4207@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> doug@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Douglas W
O'neal) writes:
> I am trying to set up a VAXStation 3100 for a department here and am
having
> trouble getting it to recognize the scsi disk.  The station and the TK50
came
> from DEC and I have no problems recognizing the tape drive when it is
the only
> external device.  However, when I daisy-chain the disk (an ANDATACO
663MB scsi
> disk), neither devices show up in a show device command.  When I take
off the
> TK50 and do a show device, I get back that there is a 663MB disk at
address
> 1 on scsib.  I then do a test 6 (test on scsib) and get a return error
code
> of 84 = "internal request not set following bus free".
>
> Has anybody seen/fixed this problem before?  Does anyone have this
configuration

This sounds very much like both the devices are set to the same SCSI
address.  It could also
be a SCSI termination problem but less likely.