[comp.sys.dec] DEC EDT-like editor

jones@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tom Jones) (02/06/90)

Our lab has always been a unix shop (We currently run Ultrix 3.0)
and most of our users know the vi editor, however a handful of
new users have a VMS background.  What's even worse, they have
to switch between using their old VMS system with EDT and our Ultrix
system on a daily basis.

I seem to remember that an EDT editor product was available for
unix systems.  Can anyone tell me how to buy this editor?
--
Thomas E. Jones		   | internet:	jones@sal.wisc.edu
Space Astronomy Laboratory | SPAN:	UWSAL::JONES

abrodnik@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Andrej Brodnik (Andy)) (02/06/90)

In article <825@larry.sal.wisc.edu> jones@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tom Jones) writes:
>Our lab has always been a unix shop (We currently run Ultrix 3.0)
>and most of our users know the vi editor, however a handful of
>new users have a VMS background.  What's even worse, they have
>to switch between using their old VMS system with EDT and our Ultrix
>system on a daily basis.
>
>I seem to remember that an EDT editor product was available for
>unix systems.  Can anyone tell me how to buy this editor?
>--
>Thomas E. Jones		   | internet:	jones@sal.wisc.edu
>Space Astronomy Laboratory | SPAN:	UWSAL::JONES
>1150 University Avenue	   |
>Madison, WI 53706	   | Ma Bell:	(608)263-4683

Hi!

How complete version of EDT are you looking for? I have something "alike" EDT,
but it is done on basis of vi. I just tried to map certain keys from keypad to
the appropriate sequences of commands in vi.

Regards

Andrej

Zaft@cup.portal.com (Gordon Christopher Zaft) (02/07/90)

GNU Emacs has both an EDT emulation mode and a vi emulation mode.

GZ
Zaft@cup.portal.com

krs0@GTE.COM (Rod Stephens) (02/07/90)

In article <26650@cup.portal.com> Zaft@cup.portal.com (Gordon Christopher Zaft) writes:
>GNU Emacs has both an EDT emulation mode and a vi emulation mode.

I've tried to get EDT emulation mode to run on our DECstations but I
cannot get the keyboard to send the right codes. It sends numeric
keypad values instead of the application keypad values. Can anyone
tell me what I have to do to get the keyboard to send the application
keypad values?

--
Rod Stephens
GTE Laboratories, Inc

mehl@cs.iastate.edu (Mark M Mehl) (02/08/90)

jones@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Tom Jones) writes:
>I seem to remember that an EDT editor product was available for
>unix systems.  Can anyone tell me how to buy this editor?

Well, your memory serves you well.  As a VMS/VAX person, you're
probably already familiar with (Text Processing Utility) TPU on
the VAX.  In fact, both EVE and EDT emulation under EVE have now
been defined and running with the TPU language.

The good news is there's now a TPU for Unix called nu/TPU.  Moreover,
not only do you get the TPU compiler, but you also get TPU program
sections for EVE, EDT, vi, and WPS (whatever editor that is).  The
really neat thing about these TPU programs is that you can add your
own code to them thereby extending the features in EVE or EDT.  Now
you can personalize your own EDT or even write emacs in TPU.  (BTW,
has someone already done this?)

The bad news is that the package is pricey.  I think it runs $600 to
$2000 depending on the size of computer you're using.  This is what I
got for ordering information:

a/Soft Development Inc.
1353 Salem Street
North Andover, MA  01845

(508) 683-4369

I have never used nu/TPU myself, but I've been trying to get our
system manager interested in it over here.  If you have any actual
experience with nu/TPU under Unix, I would be very interested to know
how you felt about the product.  Is it fast?  slow?  reliable?
--
 /\ Mark M Mehl, alias Superticker (Supertickler to some)
<><> Internet: mehl@atanasoff.cs.IAstate.edu

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (02/09/90)

In article <26650@cup.portal.com> Zaft@cup.portal.com (Gordon Christopher Zaft) writes:
>GNU Emacs has both an EDT emulation mode and a vi emulation mode.

 I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?
--
    Kevin Carothers           {philabs,csun,psivax}!ttidca!kevin

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/10/90)

In article <9708@ttidca.TTI.COM> kevin@ttidcb.tti.com (Kevin Carothers) writes:
>In article <26650@cup.portal.com> Zaft@cup.portal.com (Gordon Christopher Zaft) writes:
>>GNU Emacs has both an EDT emulation mode and a vi emulation mode.
>>

> I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?

In Feb 1987 Dr. Dobb's Journal had an issue with a cover article entitled
Text Editors: The Baby Duck Syndrome.  The article wasn't especially
enlightening, but one sentence summarized it all:

  "Like ducklings that adopt the first moving object they see as a mother,
  programmers often adopt the first editor they learn as the model of
  what an editor is and should be."

Personally I still prefer EDT as an editor, although I do almost all my
editing on a pc now, using Logitech Point, which beats EDT for my needs.
The only way I survive trying to use vi is to hang a cheat sheet in my
Curtis Clip copyholder on the side of my screen...

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

kjones@talos.uu.net (Kyle Jones) (02/10/90)

Kevin Carothers writes:
 > I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?

Because you can take adnvantage of Emacs features while maintaining VI
command syntax.  For instance, you get multiple edit buffers,
compilation without leaving the editor, mail and news reading without
leaving the editor, fresh baked cookies without leaving the editor... :-)

danj1@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Dan Jacobson) (02/11/90)

>>GNU Emacs has both an EDT emulation mode and a vi emulation mode.
> I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?

vi doesn't make numbered backups, can't split the screen and doesn't have
tons of on-line help as GNU Emacs does, so there.
--
Dan Jacobson +1-708-979-6364 danj1@ihlpa.ATT.COM

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (02/12/90)

In article <9708@ttidca.TTI.COM>, kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) writes:
:  I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?

I havn't used the other editors mentioned (can't get GNU emacs to link on
an AT&T 3b5), but comparing it with XEDIT (from the Great Satan otherwise
known as IBM) I'd say split screen mode alone is a great plus.  Also the
ability to call the editor from a program is very handy for implementing
tons of small projects.  Yes I know about vi macros, but the lack of a
direct ability to execute an 'if' statement limits their functionality
greatly.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !andromeda!galaxy!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***

In article <13002@cbnewse.ATT.COM> danj1@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Dan Jacobson) writes:
> > I just have to ask.       Why not just use "vi"?

> vi doesn't make numbered backups, can't split the screen and doesn't have
> tons of on-line help as GNU Emacs does, so there.

On the other hand:

% size /bin/vi
98959 + 4108 + 18858 = 121925 = 0x1dc45
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/12/90)

|In Feb 1987 Dr. Dobb's Journal had an issue with a cover article entitled
|Text Editors: The Baby Duck Syndrome.  The article wasn't especially
|enlightening, but one sentence summarized it all:
|
|  "Like ducklings that adopt the first moving object they see as a mother,
|  programmers often adopt the first editor they learn as the model of
|  what an editor is and should be."

Let's see, I've gone through RT-11 edit, EDT, V7 ed, Wordstar, vi, and
I'm now picking up emacs. They all had their high points and ugly
bits. None of them is my ideal editor. I guess I'm not a programmer
then. :-) :-)

cgf@ednor.bbc.com (Chris Faylor) (02/17/90)

Real briefly:  My company produces an EDT editor that runs on all sorts of
UNIX and MS-DOS machines.  It is a pretty faithful implementation with many
new features like windows and LEARN keys and color (on IBM PCs).  You can
send mail to sales@ednor.bbc.com for more info.  Or, our address is:

		Boston Business Computing
		3 Dundee Park
		Andover, MA 01810