[comp.sys.dec] Need info on Textor

jimw@bucket.UUCP (Jim Willing) (02/19/90)

I'm trying to add some disk space to a 11/750 with an Emulex SC750 controller
and I have been offered some Textor ( or Techstor, I've seen them noted both
ways ) S315 drives.

From a brief look, they appear to be 14 inch sealed units supposedly with
SMD interface and capacity of 300mb ( aprox ).

There is ( as is so often the case ) no documentation, so I'm wondering if
they would be worth the effort.  The contoller docs do refer to a Textor S160
drive, and it will handle 300+ mb drives, so there is a possibility but having
done something similar to this reciently I'm not real keen on tackling drives
with no docs again...

So...  I'm looking for any info that anyone might have on these drives.
Manuals, installation guides, etc...  Or even if someone has had experience
with these beasts and can just say "avoid them like the plague".

So in brief:  help???	Replies to the following - Thanks!
-jim

--
usually found at:    ..tektronix!tessi!bucket!jimw	| All rights reserved.
              or:    ..tektronix!percival!bucket!jimw	|

In article <1962@bucket.UUCP> jimw@bucket.UUCP (Jim Willing) writes:
> I'm trying to add some disk space to a 11/750 with an Emulex SC750 controller
> and I have been offered some Textor ( or Techstor, I've seen them noted both
> ways ) S315 drives.

The simple stategy is to just tell the controller that they're CDC9766 drives
and see if it works good.  I believe the drives are basically set up as
"non-removable" 9766 equivalents with a little bit of extra storage you're
best off ignoring.  Of course there may be other complications depending on
how the drives were configured on the previous system.

Don't pay any money for them, but if they work (do burn-in format) then
they're a lot better than wishful thinking...