[comp.sys.dec] mwm on the DecStations.

chittamu@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu (Satish Kumar .C) (02/23/90)

I have a question about the Motif Window Manager. I am try to remove
the decorations on some of my application windows. But mwm doesn't seem
to care about using my settings. For example: I do not want the title
bars and buttons on my xclock and xbiff windows. In my .Xdefaults I
added the following line.

Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:	None

But it doesn't have any effect. My title bars still remain. All the
buttons are there. I tried all case combinations, since it is case
sensitive, but to no avial.

Can anyone help? We are running DecWindows.
--
	-Satish.
	chittamu@cs.umass.edu

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/23/90)

In article <743@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu>, chittamu@umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu
(Satish Kumar .C) writes:
> Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:	None
>
> But it doesn't have any effect.

I have:

Mwm*XClock.clientDecoration:    none
Mwm*XBiff.clientDecoration:     none

in my .Xdefaults and it works fine for xclock and xbiff.  Are you sure
you're loading the resources properly, before you start mwm?  Also,
make sure you get the class names exactly correct.  Many public domain
clients have weird class names.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (02/23/90)

(Satish Kumar .C) writes:

| I have a question about the Motif Window Manager. I am try to remove
| the decorations on some of my application windows. But mwm doesn't seem
| to care about using my settings. For example: I do not want the title
| bars and buttons on my xclock and xbiff windows. In my .Xdefaults I
| added the following line.
|
| Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:	None
|
| But it doesn't have any effect. My title bars still remain. All the
| buttons are there. I tried all case combinations, since it is case
| sensitive, but to no avial.
|
| Can anyone help? We are running DecWindows.

Hmmm, I have the following in my .Xdefaults file, and it worked both
here at OSF (on a Decstation), and when I was employed at Data General
(on a 88k):

Mwm*xclock*clientDecoration:		none

Try downcasing the X in xclock.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so

evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (02/23/90)

>Mwm*xclock*clientDecoration:		none

In conjunction with this, if you use a geometry which is for example
175x95-0-0,
The actual position that the window is placed at is as though the
decorations were
on the window, resulting in a gap below and to the right of the window.
Has this
been noticed before, and will it be changed in 1.1?

- Marc

Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics    (603)893-8481
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 3 Koper Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (02/24/90)

In article <6741@decvax.dec.com>, evans@testmax.ZK3.DEC.COM (Marc Evans)
writes:
> The actual position that the window is placed at is as though the
> decorations were
> on the window

Check out the mwm*positionIsFrame resource.