[comp.sys.dec] LaserWriter 2 VMS ?

tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (02/23/90)

Help!

HAVE YOU HOOKED UP A LASERWRITER TO YOUR VMS SYSTEM?!?

I am confused about what synchronization takes place on
a spooled queue and how many pins have to be wired on the
connector.  Have tried a few things already and it looks
like the dreaded RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR are going to be problems.
And it seems that the VAX is sending on 2 instead of 3!!!???!!!

--------  john kemp            (  (  )_  internet - kemp@uiatma.atmos.uiuc.edu
  -----                       (  (   __)   decnet - uiatmb::kemp
   ---    univ of illinois   (_ (   __)    bitnet - {uunet,convex}
   --     dept of atmos sci  .(____).               !uiucuxc!uiatma!kemp
   -      105 s gregory ave    ...          phone - (217) 333-6881
    -     urbana, il 61801    ...             fax - (217) 444-4393

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/23/90)

In article <16500001@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, tundra@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Help!
>
> HAVE YOU HOOKED UP A LASERWRITER TO YOUR VMS SYSTEM?!?
>
> I am confused about what synchronization takes place on
> a spooled queue and how many pins have to be wired on the
> connector.  Have tried a few things already and it looks
> like the dreaded RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR are going to be problems.
> And it seems that the VAX is sending on 2 instead of 3!!!???!!!

John,

	And I always thought 'transmitted data' was supposed to be on line 2!
What you are saying is you hooked up the printer to a VAX port and connected
the printer 'transmitted data' line to the VAX 'transmitted data' line and it
didn't work.  No kidding!  Use a NULL modem cable.  The cable switches lines 2
& 3 as well as 6 & 20.  That will fix that problem.  Now you have to determine
what forms of flow control the Laserwriter wants.  The VAX can be configured
different ways in terms of flow control but the most obvious is XON/XOFF.  What
lines need to be attached fox that to work, you say?  XON/XOFF are characters
control-q and control-s.  All you need are lines 2 and 3.  For DSR/DTR, you
need lines 6 & 20 connected.  Look in the section on 'SET TERMINAL' in the DCL
dictionary and your Laserwriter book for how to proceed.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org (Frank Mallory) (02/25/90)

 tA> HAVE YOU HOOKED UP A LASERWRITER TO YOUR VMS SYSTEM?!?
 tA>
 tA> I am confused about what synchronization takes place on
 tA> a spooled queue and how many pins have to be wired on the
 tA> connector.  Have tried a few things already and it looks
 tA> like the dreaded RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR are going to be problems.
 tA> And it seems that the VAX is sending on 2 instead of 3!!!???!!!

One of my guys did it and said he didn't have any trouble at all.  He used it
to print out the DECforms docs, which is furnished in a .PS version.
Beautiful job!

Let me know if you are still having trouble, and I will question him more
closely.

            frank.mallory@blkcat.fidonet.org

--

	Frank Mallory at The Black Cat's Shack (Fidonet 1:109/401)
	Internet:  Frank.Mallory@f123.n109.z1.fidonet.org