[comp.sys.dec] erasable optical scsi devices

osm@ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) (02/22/90)

We have a growing population of DECstation 3100s and a stable population of
Sun 3/50s.  Unfortunately (for our systems staff), the machines we've
traditionally had backup devices on are being replaced by these faster, newer
machines which don't have a bus to stick interface cards into.

We are aware of the Exabyte solution, but what I'd really like is some
erasable optical disks that could be chained onto the scsi bus.  Using
them (the erasable optical disks) as dumb dump devices would be fine in
the short term, but I'd really like to use them as slow (but removable)
filesystems.

Is anyone aware of products which would serve our purposes?  Recommendations
for WORM devices also welcomed, but I think we're really looking for an
erasable optical disk with an embedded SCSI controller.

[ Maybe I'm completely wrong, too, but I'm sure someone will post that out
  within the next 10 seconds. ]

Owen
--
USMail:   Ocwen Trading, Inc., 101 N. Main, Suite 410, Ann Arbor, MI  48104
Phone:	  +1 313 930-1888	FAX:	+1 313 930-6636

leadley@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scott Leadley) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.180149.23857@ox.com> osm@ox.com (Owen Scott Medd) writes:
 >We have a growing population of DECstation 3100s and a stable population of
 >Sun 3/50s.  Unfortunately (for our systems staff), the machines we've
 >traditionally had backup devices on are being replaced by these faster, newer
 >machines which don't have a bus to stick interface cards into.
 >
 >We are aware of the Exabyte solution, but what I'd really like is some
 >erasable optical disks that could be chained onto the scsi bus.  Using
 >them (the erasable optical disks) as dumb dump devices would be fine in
 >the short term, but I'd really like to use them as slow (but removable)
 >filesystems.

        As a totally off the wall suggestion, are you willing to stick your
neck out and try SCSI floptical disks on a disk array controller (e.g.
Maximum Strategy)?  It might be interesting to try.  Of course you're in deep
doodoo if you lose one of the set of floptical disks or mix them up, but nobody
said that being a pioneer was easy.
--
					Scott Leadley - leadley@cc.rochester.edu

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (02/22/90)

Check the trades for the "inspire"(sp?) add.  They are the higher priced
spread in opticals but they claimed to have all flavors of disks on native
SCSI.

eam@soleil.UUCP (Ed A. Mills) (02/23/90)

Although intended for VAXStation SCSI, I purchased a supposed working
Optical R/W which has never worked.  I'm packing it up and returning
it to the vendor, and have since opted for an SDI-interface Optical
R/W for our 6410.  I haven't heard any claims since for working VAX-
Station SCSI Optical R/W; in fact Sony met with a manufacturer last week
in Boston about the problem (and other stuff too), and all I can see
going on is a lot of finger-pointing.

Ed Mills
Harris Semi
Melbourne, FL

news@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Network News) (02/28/90)

Owen writes (in in e-mail):
>There are people here who are really interested in getting a hold of
>some floptical drives, though.  You wouldn't happen to have a source
>for the buggers?

	I was hoping someone else with more hands-on experience (i.e. any) with
flopical disk systems would respond, but since that isn't the case, I made a
quick survey of two trade magazines that I have immediately to hand (Sun
Observer [2/90] and PC Week [late '89]).

Warnings:

	- I have not proof read this article.
	- One ad had just six words about floptical disk drives, a couple were
	  full-page spreads.  The quality and quantity of information in the
	  ads varies considerably.
	- I have made no attempt to find out if the systems being sold are
	  comparable or even work.  Someone else will have to do that.
	- The lowest price quoted in any ad was $2995.  The highest was $4960.
	  I'm not going to do your thinking for you; you have to find out
	  which is which and why.
	- Caveat emptor.

Alphatronix				voice:	800-229-8686
	- no address available -		919-544-0001
					fax:	919-544-4079

	"Inspire" 650MB floptical disk systems for Digital (?VMS or Ultrix?),
	Sun, PC, PS/2, Mac and Novell environments.  Also jukebox systems.

Introl Corp.				voice:	612-631-7600
	2675 Patton Rd			fax:	612-631-7802
	St. Paul, MN 55113

	"Sterling 652E" floptical disk systems for Sun 3 and Sun 4.  "Plug and
	Play" (implies to me that it uses the Sun SCSI driver).  Additional
	software.

Clayton Computer Systems		voice:	916-925-5727 (M-F 7AM-5PM PST)
	271-I Opportunity St.		fax:	916-925-7340
	Sacramento, CA  95838

	Ricoh rewritable disk: 300MB/side	from $2995
	Sony rewritable disk: 300MB/side	call

interscience Computer Corp.		voice:	800-627-2007 (CA)
	5171 Clareton Dr.			818-707-2000  "
	Agoura Hills, CA  91301			800-342-4060 (MD)
						301-595-0180  "

	OPTICAL DRIVE SCSI SUBSYSTEMS - 600MB erasable

Pinnacle Micro				voice:	800-553-7070
	??? Alton Parkway			714-727-3300 (in CA)
	Irvine, CA  92718		fax:	714-727-1913

	"REO-nnn" 650MB floptical disk systems for Digital (?VMS or Ultrix?),
	Sun, PC, HP, PS/2 and Mac environments.  "Single or dual-disk" to
	"25 disk, 16GB" systems.

R Squared
	Englewood, CO			voice:	800-777-3478
						303-799-9292
	Irvine, CA				800-234-3478
						303-837-0960
	Phoenix, AZ				800-759-3478
						602-966-1255
	Salt Lake City, UT			800-777-3478
						801-261-2473

	Distributor for Pinnacle Micro.

Artecon					voice:	800-USA-ARTE
	2440 Impala Ave				619-931-5500
	Dept 5500			fax:	619-931-5527
	PO Box 9000
	Carlsbad, CA  92008

	594MB (formatted) floptical disk systems.

					Scott Leadley - leadley@cc.rochester.edu