[net.news.group] net.sources.d - no mod.sources??

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (02/14/86)

In article <736@ttrdc.UUCP> levy@ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>lost in net.sources.  People who don't get mod.sources as a newsgroup can
>still send mail to the moderator asking for copies.  (Perhaps manpages only
>could be posted along with a message saying where to get the code itself from
>the mod.sources moderator.)

This is the second time I have heard this.  Please tell me via mail why anyone
would get net.sources and *not* get mod.sources.  A slack administrator with
no "mod" in the sys file?  An ARPANET problem, maybe?  Notesfiles?  I'd like
to know.

I am personally in favor of trashing net.sources completely.  The moderator
of mod.sources wrote me a very informative letter bemoaning the common
misconception that mod.sources is for *good* code and net.sources is for
"casual" code.  His whole intent in moderating mod.sources was to stop
the flood of "I didn't get part X of ..." and similar trash that we all
hate.  Mod.sources should be sufficient for all source postings.

If this can't be worked out, though, my mail on net.sources.d is running
<whatever> to 2 in favor of creation.  Several people have suggested
that the name be net.sources.announce instead, though -- I think it is
a very good suggestion because it'll cause more people to use the group.

Like I said, please send me mail and explain why you don't get mod.sources
but do get net.sources, and thanks in advance,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj