[comp.sys.dec] Mouse on VAXstation 2000 running DECwindows

SMOORE@oregon.uoregon.edu (Spencer Moore) (03/06/90)

Is there any way to change the manner in which my VAXstation 2000 running
DECwindows grabs text with the mouse?  Currently the mouse grabs full lines
of text.  Is there any way to grab a rectangle of text (ala Macintosh or
VWSwindows)?  I'd like to grab columns of text sometimes instead of always
full lines.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (03/06/90)

In article <16959@oregon.uoregon.edu>, SMOORE@oregon.uoregon.edu
(Spencer Moore) writes:

> Is there any way to change the manner in which my VAXstation 2000 running
> DECwindows grabs text with the mouse?  Currently the mouse grabs full lines
> of text.  Is there any way to grab a rectangle of text (ala Macintosh or
> VWSwindows)?

It is possible to write a text editor or terminal emulator with this
feature.  As far as I know, though, none of the out-of-the-box
DECwindows applications have it.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (dhosek) (03/06/90)

In article <2967@bacchus.dec.com> klee@decwrl.dec.com writes:
>In article <16959@oregon.uoregon.edu>, SMOORE@oregon.uoregon.edu
>(Spencer Moore) writes:

>> Is there any way to change the manner in which my VAXstation 2000 running
>> DECwindows grabs text with the mouse?  Currently the mouse grabs full lines
>> of text.  Is there any way to grab a rectangle of text (ala Macintosh or
>> VWSwindows)?

>It is possible to write a text editor or terminal emulator with this
>feature.  As far as I know, though, none of the out-of-the-box
>DECwindows applications have it.

We have a locally developed EDT emulation in TPU which allows rectangle
cut and paste as described above. I don't know whether it can be modified
to work via the mouse or not.

It can be FTP'd from ymir.claremont.edu from the directory
[anonymous.public.editors.eve_edt]

-dh
--
Important note: The Anti-Social Committee will not be meeting this
                week.