[comp.sys.dec] XT-2190 on a VS2000

henderson@hamavnet.uucp (03/09/90)

In article <379@latvax8.lat.oz>, CCHD@latvax8.lat.oz (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:
> i'm trying to install a Maxtor XT-2190 into a VAXstation-2000.
> At the moment, I'm having no luck formatting it. The VAXstation
> happily works with an RD53 borrowed from another VAXstation, and
> the Maxtor happily formats (as an RD50!) in a Rainbow. Does anyone
> else have any experience with this type of drive in a VAXstation?

I assume you already tried to run the TEST program to run the formatter and the
verifier (TEST 70 and TEST 71 if I remember right).

We have ran into that problem before. When we did, we localized the problem to
the disk drive. There is a special version of the XT-2190 for DEC, which is the
XT-2190D, which is not available directly from Maxtor or its distributors.

What we ended up doing to format the drive is using an RQDX3 on a MicroVAX II
or a PDP to do the low level format, and then the verify (TEST 71) would work
fine.

Javier Henderson