[comp.sys.dec] PC-NFS/PC-TCP driver for DEC VAXmate

sweynh@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Sweyn Hunter) (03/09/90)

At the end of last year, I posted a request for information on the
possibilities of using TCP/IP to connect DEC Vaxmates to a Unix machine
across Ethernet, using the Ethernet connector supplied with the
Vaxmates.  I received an answer direct from FTP Software (as well as
from others - thanks to all) that their product PC/TCP supports DEC
Ethernet connectors via the drivers supplied with DECnet DOS.

PC/TCP is supplied in the UK by Unipalm (145 St Neots Road, Hardwick,
Cambs, CB3 7QJ. Tel: 0954 211797 Fax: 0954 211244).   FTP Software can be
reached by email on the Internet at info@ftp.com.

HOWEVER, I have learned that PC/TCP uses about 150KB of memory, if the
Interdrive option which provides NFS is installed, whereas Sun's PC-NFS
uses only about 85KB.  I have checked with Sun and Dec as to the
availablity of a driver for the Vaxmate's Ethernet connector to allow
the use of PC-NFS, but they have not been able to help.

Two questions:
Have I got accurate information about the relative memory requirements
of the two packages?

Can anybody suggest where I might search for or get a driver for PC-NFS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OPTION OF BUYING A DIFFERENT ETHERNET CARD IS NOT
AVAILABLE, SINCE THE VAXMATES HAVE NO EXPANSION SLOTS.  This is because
they do not have the DEC add-on expansion box, and we do not have the money
to buy any!

All suggestions welcome, please respond by email, and I'll try to
summarize any responses more quickly than the last time!

Sweyn Hunter            |JANET:   sweynh@uk.ac.sussex.syma
AdminDP,Univ. of Sussex |BITNET:  sweynh@syma.sussex.ac.uk
Brighton, UK, BN1 9RH   |INTERNET:sweynh%syma.sussex.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Tel:+44 273 606755x3773 |UUCP:    sweynh@syma.uucp

fks@ftp.COM (Frances Selkirk) (03/13/90)

In article <2340@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, sweynh@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Sweyn Hunter) writes:

> HOWEVER, I have learned that PC/TCP uses about 150KB of memory, if the
> Interdrive option which provides NFS is installed, whereas Sun's PC-NFS
> uses only about 85KB.  I have checked with Sun and Dec as to the
> availablity of a driver for the Vaxmate's Ethernet connector to allow
> the use of PC-NFS, but they have not been able to help.

150 KB is a little inflated.  The kernel for the DEPCA board takes
85 K and InterDrive takes 49. This brings the total to roughly 135 K,
with both TSRs loaded. Furthermore, it is not necessary to load
InterDrive to use the services of the basic PC/TCP package. If, in
fact, you plan to use mostly the remote login from PC/TCP, as it
sounds from your post, you can load just the kernel at boot (taking
85K of memory), and load InterDrive only when you need it.

Hope this helps!

Frances Selkirk
(info@ftp.com)
FTP Software, Inc.