[comp.sys.dec] make

iyer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu (Narayanan S. Iyer) (03/20/90)

I am having a few problems with Ultrix 3.2 Make Facility.  Specifically,
I have a Makefile that runs properly on a Sun and an Apollo but dies on
a DEC 3100 RISC.  The problem centers around the use of `pwd`:

BINDIR=`pwd`/bin

$(MAKE) INSTALL "BINDIR=$(BINDIR)"

The above lines included in the Makefile.  Apparently, `pwd` is not
being expanded to represent the present-working-directory.  I would
appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

evans@testmax.zk3.dec.com (Marc Evans Ultrix Q/A) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar19.210924.27103@cs.umn.edu>, iyer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
(Narayanan S. Iyer) writes:
> I am having a few problems with Ultrix 3.2 Make Facility.  Specifically,
> I have a Makefile that runs properly on a Sun and an Apollo but dies on
> a DEC 3100 RISC.  The problem centers around the use of `pwd`:
>
> BINDIR=`pwd`/bin
>
> $(MAKE) INSTALL "BINDIR=$(BINDIR)"
>
> The above lines included in the Makefile.  Apparently, `pwd` is not
> being expanded to represent the present-working-directory.  I would
> appreciate any suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ryan

Hmmm...

I created the following Makefile:

	BINDIR=`pwd`/bin
	all :
		$(MAKE) INSTALL "BINDIR=$(BINDIR)"
	INSTALL :
		echo "bindir = $(BINDIR)"

I then typed 'make' and here are the results:

	make INSTALL "BINDIR=`pwd`/bin"
	echo "bindir = /tmp/bin"
	bindir = /tmp/bin

I am running ULTRIX 3.1. There is no such thing as ULTRIX 3.2. Have I simulated
your problem properly? If so, I don't see what the problem is?

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
     Unix/X-window Software Contractor      | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076