[comp.sys.dec] Anyone have loud rz23 disks in vs3100 boxes?

forrest@orion.sybase.com (Jon Forrest) (04/08/90)

In article <14082@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:

>Four of our 16 rz23 disks started making a racket.  DEC replaced them,
>and two of the four replacements are still rather loud.  Anyone else
>have this noise problem with these things?

Funny you should ask... About 6 of 8 rs23 disks here developed the
same problem. It was starting to drive me nuts. DEC was very good about
replacing the disks and none of them lost a single bit of data.
I wonder if these Connor disks have the same problems in Macs.

----
Anything you read here is my opinion and in no way represents Sybase, Inc.

Jon Forrest WB6EDM
forrest@sybase.com
{pacbell,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!forrest
415-596-3422

seymour@milton.acs.washington.edu (Richard Seymour) (04/10/90)

could you please describe the "racket"?
high pitched keening (possibly a dry or worn out grounding brush on
the end of the drive spindle -- common on many brands of many disks)?

buzzes? rattles? nail-thru-circular saw?

thanks,
--dick

D. Allen [CGL]) (04/11/90)

>could you please describe the "racket"?

Like the front end of a jet turbine at the airport.  Indeed, now the
two new rz23 disks DEC just put in are making the same turbine whine.
Is this going to be like the on-going VR260 burnout problem?
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Esther Filderman) (04/11/90)

It seems that there is a bearing in the rz23 that wears out slowly, over
time.  The wear-out causes the "racket," which gets louder and louder
until one day the disk dies.  Fortunately, they are giving their own
warning, leaving you plenty of time to back things up and get the disk
replaced. [plenty of time= ~ 2 - 3 months, but the noise will drive you
nuts before then!]

We have 11 Vaxstation 3100s, each with 2 rz23 disks.  We replace between
one to two per month, which is quite bearable.  Dec is always reasonable
and prompt about replacing the disks as needed; our downtime is minimal.
 They are, apparently, very very aware of the problem.

Esther C. Filderman             ef1c+@andrew.cmu.edu
System Mangler		Computing Services
Mercury Project		Carnegie Mellon University