[comp.sys.dec] C compiler for PDP-11

tait@xroads.UUCP (Philip J. Tait) (04/14/90)

DEC recently announced Release 1.0 of C for the PDP-11.

Would anyone who has already used it care to post a mini-review? We're
considering a purchase, but are a little apprehensive about version 1.0 of
anything!

Phil Tait, Allied-Signal Aerospace - Garrett Engine Division.

(602) 231-7104
--
\  /  C r o s s r o a d s  C o m m u n i c a t i o n s
 /\   (602) 941-2005 300|1200|2400 Baud 24 hrs/day

kohler@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (kurt kohler) (04/15/90)

In article <1045@xroads.UUCP> tait@xroads.UUCP (Philip J. Tait) writes:

>DEC recently announced Release 1.0 of C for the PDP-11.
>
>Would anyone who has already used it care to post a mini-review?
>
>Phil Tait, Allied-Signal Aerospace - Garrett Engine Division.

Well I haven't actually used it (I'm still waiting for the RT-11 version),
but I did attend a session at the Fall '89 DECUS where several beta sites
commented on their experiences. They were all very positive about it. They
particularly mentioned that the error recovery/reporting is excellent. There
were some problems in the early beta releases with the code generated being
rather large, but as I remember this got much better by the time it was
ready for release.
 The compiler has been under development for a long time (5 years?) and was
apparently very thoroughly tested. In fact one person said they thought it
was already better than VMS C!
 Remember this is all second hand and based on my possibly faulty memory.

     Kurt Kohler
     Internet: kohler@jacobs.cs.orst.
     Asset Control Systems, Inc.
     Corvallis, OR