[comp.sys.dec] Modem Brands that work on a 3100

wright@tacvax.mdcbbs.com (05/04/90)

In article <24626@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, jac@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Gordon Jacobs) writes:

> 			   ....	So the question is:  For those
> people setting up shared modem lines on a 3100, which brand
> modem are you using if it all works properly?!?
>
>   It would be nice to know what brands can avoid these problems...

I too would like to use a modem, other than a DEC dfxxx modem, for dial-in, and
dial-out of my DS3100. I have a Racal 2400vp and a Robotics Courier 2400e which
I would like to use. I have gotten the Racal to dial-out using KERMIT, and I
can dial-in successfully. When I set line in KERMIT I get the error message:

Can't set in-use flag on modem.
TIOCSINUSE: Operation already in progress

but I can still connect to the modem and dial out.

I would also like to use the tip command to dial-out to a system using an entry
in /etc/remote. But there are no /etc/acucap entries for the Racal 2400vp or
Robotics 2400e modems. I have tried to use the "hayes" and the "robot" enties,
but they are for 1200 baud modems, and do not work properly. When using the
following entry in /etc/remote, the modem is accessed, I get a dial tone, the
modem dials, and disconnects immediately.

mdcbbs:dv=/dev/ttyd0:du:at=hayes:br#2400:pn=6100:

Does anyone have an entry for acucap with the correct switches for these two
types of modems.

A co-worker uses the same setup on a Sun system with no problem, apperently Sun
has a built in definition of hayes in the tip command. This definition works
for any hayes compatible modem.

Thanks in advance, see you at DECUS...
 --

    |	Dave Wright		 |	Phone:	(714) 952-6320             |