[comp.sys.dec] ANU NEWS on VMS-ULTRIX CONNECTION UCX 1.2 wanted

lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) (05/06/90)

In article <1990May5.182539.709@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:

> DEC released the Ultrix connection product UCX V 1.2 recently.
> This is the first chance to talk to UNIX with a DEC product.

I have been using this DEC/Ultrix connection software for a while now..
It is not very good.....AND very hard to program in. For VAX news I prefer
to use NNTP over DECnet. DEC's first try a TCP/IP is not very good.
It has A LOT of problems. I have writen FINGER, SMTP, and TELNET
just for fun...It was not easy. DEC does not provide DNS or default
routing......Just static routing and host tables.
I am a UNIX prgrammer....I don't like QIO. This is not like standard
TCP/IP programming. I found programming Sunlink DNI much easier.

Note: I have heard that the next release will be MUCH better.
And since this is the only TCP/IP our system has, I have to make do.

--
Andrew Lindh, a student at the University of Hartford -- Computer Science
BITNET:    LINDH@HARTFORD.bitnet       INTERNET: lindh@uhasun.uofh.edu