[comp.sys.dec] VMS-ULTRIX CONNECTION UCX 1.2 pros/cons

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (05/06/90)

In article <75@ultrix.uhasun.hartford.edu>, lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) writes:
> In article <1990May5.182539.709@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>>
>> DEC released the Ultrix connection product UCX V 1.2 recently.
>> This is the first chance to talk to UNIX with a DEC product.
>>

> I have been using this DEC/Ultrix connection software for a while now..

We are trying to use it since release 1.0, and it was a hard life with 1.0.

> It is not very good.....AND very hard to program in. For VAX news I prefer
> to use NNTP over DECnet. DEC's first try a TCP/IP is not very good.
> It has A LOT of problems. I have writen FINGER, SMTP, and TELNET

TELNET ?? Is included in Version 1.2.

> just for fun...It was not easy. DEC does not provide DNS or default
> routing......Just static routing and host tables.

This got its benefits partially. Greenhorns don't ftp around easily,
and I have written a utility which enables managers to enter their node
easily into the static routing table. The next relaease will have it
(at least some vapourware stuff told that).

> I am a UNIX prgrammer....I don't like QIO. This is not like standard
> TCP/IP programming. I found programming Sunlink DNI much easier.

I don't like QIO, but I do like VMS for occasional users. UNIX is
a pain for rare users. I'm dealing with biologists mostly, and the
pseudo-english VMS is much better than UNIX.

> Note: I have heard that the next release will be MUCH better.

Are we talking about 1.3 or which release ? Shipping date?

> And since this is the only TCP/IP our system has, I have to make do.

Me too. I am *very* interested in SMTP. Is that code available?

Regards,
Reinhard

PS: I am interested in sharing experience with others using UCX.
NFS is causing problems, sometimes. Anyone else had this problem ?

blarsen@spider.uio.no (Bjorn Larsen) (05/07/90)

The rumour I heard is that version 1.3 will be out sometime this fall.
It will include support for BIND and RIP.

Among the other things Digital is putting into UCX are SMTP, R-type commands
and NFS client support for VMS. But I don't think any of this will be
included in 1.3.

--
Bjorn Larsen                University of Oslo,  Norway
                                             bl@nuug.no

sdowdy@ariel.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) (05/08/90)

In article <1990May6.110327.710@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
)In article <75@ultrix.uhasun.hartford.edu>, lindh@uhasun.hartford.edu (Andrew Lindh) writes:
)> In article <1990May5.182539.709@urz.unibas.ch>, doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
)>> DEC released the Ultrix connection product UCX V 1.2 recently.
)>> This is the first chance to talk to UNIX with a DEC product.
)> It is not very good.....AND very hard to program in. For VAX news I prefer
)> to use NNTP over DECnet. DEC's first try a TCP/IP is not very good.
)> It has A LOT of problems. I have writen FINGER, SMTP, and TELNET
(for us TELNET sessions work MUCH better than CMU, and that is all we need)

)> just for fun...It was not easy. DEC does not provide DNS or default
)> routing......Just static routing and host tables.

The bit about default routing is not quite correct...
	UCX> Set Route /Addr=0.0.0.0/Gateway=router-node.domain/Network

HOWEVER, it doesn't allow you to use any old address.  The address must
be in the table.  But it will route via the above router.

)> I am a UNIX prgrammer....I don't like QIO. This is not like standard
)> TCP/IP programming. I found programming Sunlink DNI much easier.

I personally believe QIOs are fabumundo as they make the I/O subsystem
behave in a "saner" manner (however, such things do increase complexity)
However, VAXC has access to std unix socket calls.  You may need to upgrade
to VAXC V3.x (?) (or figure out how to link with the UCX$whateverSHR .EXE,
and how to call it)

)> Note: I have heard that the next release will be MUCH better.
)Are we talking about 1.3 or which release ? Shipping date?

Yes, late summer/fall
)Me too. I am *very* interested in SMTP. Is that code available?

For SMTP support for VMS using UCX, check out "MX" by Matt Madison at
RPI (anonymous ftp from vms.ecx.rpi.edu)  I have been running it for
some time and it seems stable now (works at my site.  But then individual
tcp/ip implementations are so wishy washy, and your site may ve weird)
(Mucho thanks to Matt for putting this out.  It's quite nicely done)
(read the information.  MX does many things you may be interested in
besides interface using UCX SMTP)

--stephen

sdowdy@ariel.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) (05/09/90)

In article <2663@ariel.unm.edu> sdowdy@ariel.unm.edu (Stephen Dowdy) writes:
)For SMTP support for VMS using UCX, check out "MX" by Matt Madison at
)RPI (anonymous ftp from vms.ecx.rpi.edu)  I have been running it for
                             ^^^

OOPS, sorry, it was only 1am, so no excuses, try:
	vms.ecs.rpi.edu	(128.113.5.15 for people w/o bind, like UCX people)

Also, just for tidbits, MX supports JNet, CMU-TEK, and UUCP, not just UCX mail

--stephen