[comp.sys.dec] DEC <===> IBM interoperability - what are the options?

pjj@ntrlink.interlink.com (Patrick Johnston) (05/25/90)

In article <454@ncrstp.StPaul.NCR.COM> mercer@ncrstp.StPaul.NCR.COM (Dan Mercer) writes:
>We're looking to connect a VAX/VMS network primarily running DECNET
>to an SNA/IBM network.  The IBM hosts are running VM with PROFS for
>mail.  The DEC hosts run All-in-one.  We need the following:
>
>	1. mail interoperability
>	2. SNA 3270 terminal emulation for DEC terminals
>	3. VT100-220 terminal emulation for IBM 3270 terminals
>	4. DECNET to TCP-IP gateway
>

>Dan Mercer

Intelink has the largest installed base of IBM to DECnet gateways.  The
Interlink product SNS/Connect and SNS/Link, place no software on the
VAX machines and perform all the DECnet functions (FAL, NFT, CTERM,
MAIL-11, Allin1) by using DECnet objects emulated on VM or MVS.
SNS/Connect can also route DECnet packets over an SNA network to remote
IBM hosts or remote DECnet networks.

3270 terminal emulation is proided on the vax by using DEC's sna access
routine - DECnet/SNA terminal emulation.
You are correct, there are products that emulate DEC VT220 terminals on
a 3278 terminal.  Interlink does this by software on the host using a
CTERM protocol stream to the vax.

Patrick Johnston	Manager, International Marketing & Support
pjj@interlink.com	Interlink Computer Sciences
sun!ntrlink!pjj		47370 Fremont Blvd
			Fremont, California 94538
voice:	415/657-9800	fax:    415/659-6381