[comp.sys.dec] DECstation 5000 -- What kind of file server is it?

richd@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Dellaripa) (06/06/90)

At work, we're looking at establishing a UNIX base by having about 8
workstations and a central file server. One of the options available is
to get several 3100s and hook them all up to a 5000 with a couple
gigabytes of disk space. My concern is whether the 5000, which is
labelled a workstation, is capable of handling the file service load of
8 workstations and still be usable itself. If it is capable of handling
such a load, how expandable is it (i.e. how much disk space can it
handle, how many stations can it serve, etc.)?

If anyone can give me any input on the matter, I'd appreciate it a
great deal.

                       Richard C. Dellaripa
                   Internet: richd@prism.gatech.edu

treese@crltrx.crl.dec.com (Win Treese) (06/06/90)

In article <10143@hydra.gatech.EDU> richd@prism.gatech.EDU (Richard Dellaripa) writes:
>At work, we're looking at establishing a UNIX base by having about 8
>workstations and a central file server. One of the options available is
>to get several 3100s and hook them all up to a 5000 with a couple
>gigabytes of disk space. My concern is whether the 5000, which is
>labelled a workstation, is capable of handling the file service load of
>8 workstations and still be usable itself. If it is capable of handling
>such a load, how expandable is it (i.e. how much disk space can it
>handle, how many stations can it serve, etc.)?

Not a problem, as they say.  A 5000 makes quite a nice file server.
As for total disk space, you can have up to 4 SCSI buses (the built-in
plus up to three SCSI TurboChannel cards), with 7 devices (I think) on
each bus.  Using RZ57s (about 1 gigabyte each), that's 28 gig on it.

Offhand, I'd say it would handle 20 3100s if they had local paging disks.
None of this is official, of course....

Win Treese						Cambridge Research Lab
treese@crl.dec.com					Digital Equipment Corp.

tihor@acf4.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (06/06/90)

How is it for I/O speed.  SCSI is not famous for high speed yet.