[comp.sys.dec] Market values of uVaxen?

ning@isl.Stanford.EDU (Paul C. Ning) (06/27/90)

I'd like to get a rough idea of how much the following systems would go for
in the marketplace.  We're considering replacing them so I'm trying to
estimate the final migration cost.

1) uVaxII/GPX (BA123 floorstand enclosure)
   5MB RAM
   70MB RD53
   TK50 95MB tape drive
   2 135MB Wren-3 disks with controller
   DEUNA Ethernet board
   8-line serial board

2) uVaxII (BA123 floorstand enclosure)
   5MB RAM
   2 70MB RD53
   TK50 95MB tape drive
   DEUNA Ethernet board

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paul Ning
Dept. of Elec. Engr.
Stanford University

pavlov@canisius.UUCP (Greg Pavlov) (07/02/90)

In article <121@isl.stanford.edu>, ning@isl.Stanford.EDU (Paul C. Ning) writes:

> I'd like to get a rough idea of how much the following systems would go for
> in the marketplace.  We're considering replacing them....
>
> 1) uVaxII/GPX (BA123 floorstand enclosure)
>    5MB RAM, 70MB RD53, TK50 95MB tape drive, 2 135MB Wren-3 disks with
>    controller, DEUNA Ethernet board, 8-line serial board
> 2) uVaxII (BA123 floorstand enclosure)
     (...with somewhat similar config)

  If selling these is crucial to purchasing new equipment, then you may want
  to get quotes on trade-in values from DEC.

  As far as selling to dealers, the following seems to hold (it did for us):

   1. operating system licenses are important.  VMS is "worth" more;
   2. depending on whom you talk to and when, items such as RD53's, TK50's, and
      DEC serial boards tend to be hard to get rid of for ANY money; you are
      likely to be told that someone already has too many in stock as it is.

      greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny