[comp.sys.dec] ESC on ds3100 keyboard: how to rebind?

connie@psych.Stanford.EDU (Constance Stillinger) (07/04/90)

I would be very grateful if someone would email me the way to cause
emacs (18.55) to understand that I have remapped  the tilde, wedge,
comma and dot keys so that ESC is in the upper left-hand corner, etc.

I know I've seen the solution posted here.  Thanks!

Constance Stillinger
connie@psych.stanford.edu  (Now ass't prof. at Northwestern Univ.)
-------

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (07/04/90)

In article <1156@psych.stanford.edu> connie@psych.Stanford.EDU (Constance Stillinger) writes:
>I would be very grateful if someone would email me the way to cause
>emacs (18.55) to understand that I have remapped  the tilde, wedge,
>comma and dot keys so that ESC is in the upper left-hand corner, etc.

I use xmodmap in my .X11Startup file to remap the keyboard and emacs
works just fine.  My .xmodmaprc file is included at the end of this message.
I invoke xmodmap with:

  xmodmap .xmodmaprc

The .xmodmaprc file puts < and > over , and ., puts ~ and ` where < and >
used to be, and puts escape where ~/` were (upper left of the keyboard).
I popped the keycaps for </> and ~/` and switched them so it's a little
closer to reality.  I also switch caps lock and control because I prefer
the control key closer to the other keys.

It's pretty entertaining watching someone try to use my system.  :-)

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

keysym comma = comma less
keysym period = period greater
keysym quoteleft = Escape Escape
keycode 201 = quoteleft asciitilde
remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

klee@wsl.dec.com (Ken Lee) (07/06/90)

Stillinger) writes:
|> I would be very grateful if someone would email me the way to cause
|> emacs (18.55) to understand that I have remapped  the tilde, wedge,
|> comma and dot keys so that ESC is in the upper left-hand corner, etc.

On a DS3100, the upper left key has keycode 191.  You can use xmodmap
to change the mapping for that key:

xmodmap -e "keycode 191 = Escape Escape"

makes it generate Escape for both shifted and un-shifted.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@wsl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

mellon@fenris.pa.dec.com (Ted Lemon) (07/07/90)

First, fix your dxterm configuration so that it doesn't remap the
keys.   Then, do the following:

xmodmap <<~
! Fix the escape key, which is mislabeled and misused as a `~ key on the
! lk200.   Purists may disapprove of SHIFT-ESC producing ~.   Write
! your own.
keysym quoteleft = Escape asciitilde
!
! Make comma and period shift into greatness:
keysym comma = comma less
keysym period = period greater
!
! Make the <> key product `~ instead:
keysym less = quoteleft asciitilde
!
! Make the caps lock key into a control key:
clear Lock
keycode 176 = Control_R
add control = Control_R
~