[comp.sys.dec] DECStation 3100 suggestions

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (06/22/90)

In article <103243@convex.convex.com> root@convex.com (Superuser) writes:
>Can any of you DECStation users give me a suggestion on a resonable
>(minimum) configuration for a DECStation 3100 for working in a
>multi Vendor, multi Operation system environment.
>
>Is Color Worth it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>tgm

I'd say go for colour. You'll want it sooner or later anyway. I also
suggest buying the 19" monitor instead of 15". Much easier for your
eyes. If you want to save money don't get a 3100 but a 2100 instead,
you'll hardly notice the difference in performance. You could also
start with a smaller amount of RAM (8Megs ?), cause it's the easiest
thing to add.

The problem is that with ULTRIX you need a lot of disk space. A single
RZ55 (300M) hardly suffices. You'll need at least 1 RZ56 (600M) unless
ofcourse you have a good NFS service around to serve all but the ULTRIX
stuff.

--
Timo Lehtinen
Stream Technologies Inc.

jtkohl@MIT.EDU (John T Kohl) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jun22.111228.15333@sti.fi> ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) writes:

> In article <103243@convex.convex.com> root@convex.com (Superuser) writes:
> >Can any of you DECStation users give me a suggestion on a resonable
> >(minimum) configuration for a DECStation 3100 for working in a
> >multi Vendor, multi Operation system environment.
> >

> You could also
> start with a smaller amount of RAM (8Megs ?), cause it's the easiest
> thing to add.

DON'T buy with less than 12M of main memory; I used such a 3100 for a
while and it was DRAMATICALLY slower than with 12M or 16M; the extra
main memory is vital for decent performance.
--
John Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU> or <jtkohl@MIT.EDU>
Digital Equipment Corporation/Project Athena

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (07/10/90)

My only additional comment.... If you want to save money I *would* go with the
Trinitron 16" monitor.  Very nice.  Better by far than the older 15"
color monitors.  And unlike the 19" monitors, you can lift it alone without
doing disk (as in backbone) damage.  If deskspace (that's with an e) is no
problem and neither is money... well, 19" is bigger and better.

Fred

krs0@GTE.COM (Rod Stephens) (07/10/90)

If you do go with the 16" monitor you can use fonts larger than the
default fonts (which take a microscope to read). You can't fit as many
windows on the screen at one time, but they're a lot easier to read.

--
Rod Stephens
GTE Laboratories, Inc