[comp.sys.dec] vax c ---> mips c

davis@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") (06/30/90)

Hi,

     I am trying to compile some vax c programs to run on a dec-station (3100)
using the mips c compiler.  However, I am having problems.  It seems that mips
c does not have the 'system' function or the 'getenv' function both of which
are in the stdlib.h include file.  Does mips c have replacements for these?
Also any hints on making the switch would be appreciated.

Thanks,
--
--John

  bitnet: davis@ohstpy
internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

daniels@hanoi.enet.dec.com (Bradford R. Daniels) (06/30/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Jun30113823@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>,
davis@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes:
> ...  It seems that mips
> c does not have the 'system' function or the 'getenv' function both of which
> are in the stdlib.h include file.  Does mips c have replacements for these?
> Also any hints on making the switch would be appreciated.

Have you tried linking?  Those functions should be in the MIPS C RTL.
They are pretty standard Unix functions, and both are mentioned in
section 3 of my copy of the MIPS ULTRIX docset.  I think what is con-
fusing you is that stdlib.h is not available on MIPS ULTRIX yet.
It is an ANSI standard header, and the current release of MIPS
ULTRIX is much farther from ANSI standard than VAX C.

Try doing a "man system" and a "man getenv" at the command prompt
on your DECstation.

- Brad

Brad Daniels			|  Digital Equipment Corp. almost
DEC Software Devo		|  definitely wouldn't approve of
"VAX C RTL Whipping Boy"	|  anything I say here...

axt654@csc.anu.oz (07/12/90)

In article <DAVIS.90Jun30113823@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>, davis@pacific.pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu ("John E. Davis") writes:
> Hi,
>
>      I am trying to compile some vax c programs to run on a dec-station (3100)
> using the mips c compiler.  However, I am having problems.  It seems that mips
> c does not have the 'system' function or the 'getenv' function both of which
> are in the stdlib.h include file.  Does mips c have replacements for these?
> Also any hints on making the switch would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> --John
>
>   bitnet: davis@ohstpy
> internet: davis@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu

Our version (2.1) of Ultrix does have both of the above, I use them in some
of my code.

Try removing the line #include <stdlib.h>, cc on a DS3100 is not ansi.
Alternatively get Gnu cc (gcc). It runs fine on a DS3100 and is much closer to
being Ansi