[comp.sys.dec] How to install new fonts?

aks@iti.org (Alan Stebbens) (07/06/90)

I have just obtained the marumoji fonts, and am trying to install them
on my DECstation 3100.  Perhaps I'm being dense and having _perused_ TFM,
but here's what I've tried:

a. Installed font file "maru14.bdf" in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local.
b. Ran "dxfc" on "maru14.bdf" to make "maru14.pcf"
c. Ran "dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local" to build "fonts.dir"
   with the new maru14.pcf in it; it seemed to work.
d. Verified that /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local is in the font path, by querying
   with "xset -q".
e. Set the font path, just in case the "fonts.dir" files are read only
   once, when the path is first set.
f. Queried again to be sure I didn't trip over something.

However, "xlsfonts" doesn't seem to find the fonts.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.
(Please reply via email unless you think your answer will benefit the
entire net).

Alan Stebbens <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>
--

Alan Stebbens <aks@hub.ucsb.edu>

aks@somewhere.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) (07/12/90)

In <5896@hub.ucsb.edu> aks@hub.ucsb.edu (Alan Stebbens) writes:

>I have just obtained the marumoji fonts, and am trying to install them
>on my DECstation 3100.  Perhaps I'm being dense and having _perused_ TFM,
>but here's what I've tried:

>a. Installed font file "maru14.bdf" in /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local.
>b. Ran "dxfc" on "maru14.bdf" to make "maru14.pcf"
>c. Ran "dxmkfontdir /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local" to build "fonts.dir"
>   with the new maru14.pcf in it; it seemed to work.
>d. Verified that /usr/lib/X11/fonts/local is in the font path, by querying
>   with "xset -q".
>e. Set the font path, just in case the "fonts.dir" files are read only
>   once, when the path is first set.
>f. Queried again to be sure I didn't trip over something.

>However, "xlsfonts" doesn't seem to find the fonts.

>What am I doing wrong?

Well, thanks to Anne Louise Gockel, at Cornell, for the winning answer:

"Did you issue `xset fp rehash' or do something to restart the X server?"

And, of course, I had done no such thing.  Oh well.

I just did, though, and the new fonts are now accessible.
So, it seems that the above steps are correct, and that step (e) should be
replaced with:

e.  Run "xset fp rehash".

Thanks, again, Anne.
--