[comp.sys.dec] SUMMARY: Exabyte

de5@STC06.CTD.ORNL.GOV (SILL D E) (07/18/90)

I recently asked:

>Which is a better backup device/medium for a heterogeneous network
>including Suns, DECs, and various other workstations and minis?
>
>How do they compare on:
>
>    -price of drives
>    -cost of tapes
>    -capacity
>    -reliability of drives
>    -reliability of recorded tapes
>    -speed of dumps and restores
>    -vendor and third party support
>    -driver availability
>    -ease of use
>
>DEC seems to be pushing DAT's, and argues that they're inherently
>better since they were designed to record digital data, whereas 8mm is
>an analog video format.
>
>Thanks in advance.  Summary if warranted.

A summary seems to be warranted, as this is something of a hot topic.

1. Price of drives

    "The 4mm seems to cost substantially more (~1.5x) [than] the 8mm
for initial hardware."  --Don Rice

    "The price was 1/2 of a 8mm unit."  --J. Eric Townsend

    "We are being quoted prices that buy two WangDATs for the price of
one Exabyte."  --Sakari Jalovaara

Conclusion: Neither is clearly cheaper, shop around.

2. Cost of tapes

    "In bulk, from a music/audio supply store, about $12 apiece for
name-brand [DAT] blanks."  --J. Eric Townsend

    "DAT tapes cost $15.00 and seem to be going up in price."  --Jim

    "Tapes appear to cost about the same (+/- 20%.)"  --Sakari
Jalovaara

Conclusion: Neither is clearly cheaper, per tape, but remember to
consider the difference in capacities (see next item).

3. Capacity

    "Currently, 4mm stores half as much as 8mm per tape."  --Don Rice

    "Now
		Exabyte	2  GB
		DAT		1.3GB
    Future
		Exabyte	5  GB	(EXB 8500)
		DAT		8  GB (achievable HP)"
--Matthias Kandler quoting "Battle of the Backup", May '90 _Systems
International_

    "Supposedly a double speed and capacity 8mm tape is also right
around the corner."  --Bill Nowicki

    "The 8mm tape has a 2.2 GB capacity versus 1.3 GB for the 4mm.
Exabyte is coming up later this year with a 5 GB capacity 8mm drive."
--Eduardo Krell

    "8mm beats the DAT in storage capacity (something like 2GB vs
1.3GB with max available tape lengths.)"  --Sakari Jalovaara

Conclusion: The 8mm technology clearly holds the lead today.  4mm may
eventually catch-up or surpass, or it may not.

4. Reliability of drives

    "Exabyte hardware tends to break a fair amount, but at least they
tell you there is a problem.  From the responses:

	`I've had several of them break: doors jamming, unable to
	read/write (they give you errors, don't worry), the little
	green light burning out.... I've only had about 10 tapes fail
	so far in the past 18 months [out of roughly 900].  Most of
	these tapes got stuck in the tape drives because the drives
	are so cheap.'

	`(Our Exabyte) drives have a hard time living on the SCSI bus
	with other peripherals.  They seem to hang sometimes, forcing
	a reboot.'"  --Nathan Wilson

    "Nobody's saying (knows?) anything about the reliability of DAT
hardware."  --Nathan Wilson

    "We have had a Wangdat DAT purchased from Apunix for three months
with few problems.  Once it refused to give back a tape, but holding
down the eject button for 10 seconds got it out (undocumented
feature)."  --Jim

    "We have been using 8mm for about 8 months with no problems."
--Jack Churchill

    "We have been using Exabyte (on a MicroVax 3600) since February
this year and have had no problems.  We regularly have to restore
files and directories and also haven't had a problem yet.

    Then again on the DEC system we only average about 6 tapes a
month.

    On our Apollo setup we use about 20 tapes a week and so far there
have been only 2 problems.

    1. Caused by Sony anti-static tapes, don't use them, they're for
home movie cameras only.  Get certified Exabyte tapes, preferably from
Exabyte themselves.  Whatever gunge is on the Sony tapes it can render
your complete Exabyte unit useless.

    2. The systems HAVE to be serviced by the [supplier] about every
2,000 operational (tape writing/reading) hours." --Anonymous

Conclusion: Although there are more complaints about Exabyte hardware
reliability, this could just be because there are many more of them in
use and they've been around longer.  No clear advantage should be
assigned to DAT.

5. Reliability of recorded tapes

Conclusion: There were no complaints about unreadable Exabyte tapes,
which is a good sign.  For DAT, it's too early to tell.

6. Speed of dumps and restores

    "According to DEC it looks like their DATs can do a 10
MBytes/min."  --John Hascall

    "Random file recovery:
          Exabyte 23m3s 20m14s
          DAT 27m11s 27m14s

    Dump performance:
          DAT's data transfer rate is slightly worse than Exabyte's."
--Matthias Kandler quoting "Battle of the Backup", May '90 _Systems
International_

    "DAT drives have very fast seek times." --Nathan Wilson

    "We are starting to test the 4mm DATs since their positioning
speed is faster (although transfer rate is slower and supposedly a
double speed and capacity 8mm tape is also right around the corner)."
--Bill Nowicki

    "This weekend, we backed-up about 560MB in slightly over 1 hour on
the [Exabyte] we bought under the Prime Computer name.  This was on an
EXL325 (25MHz '386 MultiBus II, SCSI on the motherboard, not on the
MultiBus).  Admittedly, we need to do some more tuning on the file
systems to get them to run optimally.  Unlike our QIC tapes, the
[Exabyte] is so quiet that I cannot determine whether it is streaming
continuously or not."  --Daniel Graifer

    "[DAT's] seek/rewind time is outstanding."  --J. Eric Townsend

    "The transfer speed of the 8mm drives is faster than 4mm
(something like 240 KB/s versus 180 KB/s).  The 5 GB drive will have
double the transfer speed, so it will be something like 480 KB/s."
--Eduardo Krell

    "The throughput we have gotten [4mm] is only about 90 Kbytes per
second max, and the bottleneck seems to be the Sun 3/60 SCSI."  --Jim

    "The only complaints [about 8mm] are the search and transfer
speeds during restores when people (not me) are in a hurry to read a
file."  --Jack Churchill

    "A WangDAT manual says 183 kB/s sustained data rate; 8mm is the
same (I can't find the manual, I think it says 180 kB/s.)"  --Sakari
Jalovaara

    "DAT scores big points in that it seeks (skips files) much faster.
If you have a full tape with 8 files, "mt fsf 8" takes *forever* on
the 8mm, DAT does it in something like 30 sec worst-case (I can't find
the real timings in the manual.)"  --Sakari Jalovaara

    "But even for the normal backups, I find [DAT] annoyingly slow,
beating 150K/sec on a good day.  (I'm partially convinced the slowness
is psychological, since the tape moves so slowly as compared with QIC
drives, say.)"  --Colin Plumb

Conclusion: 8mm seems to have the advantage in raw throughput, whereas
4mm has a definite advantage in seeking.

7. Vendor and third party support

    "Both are proposed as ANSI and ISO standards. Exabyte is de facto
standard DAT has yet to establish itself."  --Matthias Kandler

Conclusion: Adequate support seems to be available for both, with a
slight edge to Exabyte due to its maturity.

8. Driver availability

    "Exabyte distributors tend to market for only one brand of
computer.  Some of the DAT drives that I've gotten info on work with a
truckload of different computers, Suns, DEC, HP, IBM, Apple."
--Nathan Wilson

    "We use /dev/rst on the Sun to talk to the DAT."  --J. Eric
Townsend

    "Apunix supplies the driver [for the WangDAT they market.]  --Jim

Conclusion: I'm not sure about this one.  Some require add-on drivers,
others don't.  Make sure drivers are available for your target
systems.

9. Ease of use

    "Only problem with the DAT was figuring out new blocksizes and
other stuff for our tar/dump/restore backups."  --J. Eric Townsend

    "Our DAT is on a SCSI port on a Sun 3/60 running OS 4.0.3, and we
upgraded to that OS from 3.5 to use the drive.  Apunix supplies the
driver.  It is essential to enable scsi disconnects with
scsi_disre_enable = 1 if you have an active disk on the scsi."  --Jim

    "I'm playing with a WangDAT 1300 at the moment (image processing -
need lotsa storage space), currently driving it with some backup
software that thinks it's talking to a 1/2" tape drive and so
sequential-reads everything - arrgh!" --Colin Plumb

Conclusion: No clear advantage either way.

10. Inherent superiority of medium

    "Both use magnetic media to record flux changes based on whatever
modulates them - in this case, it's your data."  --Gary Bridgewater

    "Clearly, the underlying hardware is analog in either case and
that digital controllers added to video-designed drives are not
theoretically incapable of providing the same results as
digital-from-the start products ... however, its also a pretty
challenging task." --Steven Parkes

    "In a high performance drive, it all looks analog anyway, but the
closer you put the 1/0 decisions to the drive, the better, assuming
you really plan to transcribe digital data." --George Robbins

    "The frequency-modulation method used to record video signals on
tape is very similar to digital recording: no bias signal is used;
replay amplitude and waveshape are not important; zero-crossings are.

    I also understand (from the hi-fi audio press, so hardly from an
unimpeachable source) that the pretty much identical metal dust tape
is used for both DAT and 8mm video." --Dominic Dunlop

    "There was a long article in one of the design rags a couple of
months ago about 4mm vs. 8mm, from the standpoint of coding methods.
It claimed that 4mm uses the same error correction methods designed
for human-listener audio playback, while 8mm uses algorithms specially
tuned for computer data storage.  The conclusion was that the 8mm
algorithms were far superior for archival applications.  Since this
article was written by an Exabyte engineer, we can be sure it is
unbiased and accurate, right?" --Don Rice

    "I remember seeing, some months ago, a press release from Exabyte
(I'm on their mailing list) clarifying this issue.

    The *tape transport* is 8mm format, the electronics are Exabyte's
own.  I believe if you check (call Exabyte), you will find that 8mm
tape drives are written in a digital format, not some analog
adaptation."  --Greg Tarsa

    "The read/write heads and associated electronics for an 8mm tape
were originally designed for video signals stored in analog form, and
great pains were taken to ensure linear response.  Encoding digital
data as ones and zeros was not the major goal.  Circuitry external to
the video section is required to keep the error rate down.

    DAT was designed from the ground up to store digital data only.
It is fully optimized for handling bits, bytes, and blocks.

    So, it's not a question of what type of connectors are on the
outside of the box, but rather what the insides are designed for."
--Joe Smith

    "DAT's 90 degree wrap angle (Exabyte 210 degree) is said to reduce
head and tape wear, and enable fast file search."  --Matthias Kandler

    "Exabyte's error checking algorithm is supposed to be
significantly better."  --Nathan Wilson

    "It's not unreasonable to assume that video tapes, which are meant
to have a small head flying by at an acute angle at a high speed,
recording a video signal might not perform very well when given
digital data.  (To be honest, I don't have the slightest idea what the
heads in an Exabyte drive look like)."  --Ed Falk

    "The magnetic particles on the tape don't know anything about
digital or analog.  It is a characteristic of the iron oxide that it
is easily saturated, and once the magnetizing signal goes beyond the
linear range, the tape quickly reaches saturation.  The magnetic heads
used in helical scan recording are very similar to video-heads, and a
very similar technique for data storage was pioneered by IBM during
the 1970s, resulting in an archival storage technology with helical
scan cartridges."  --Robert Kinne

    "To the best of my knowledge, *all* video tape (quad scan, various
old helicals, VHS, 8mm) uses FM to encode the video signal.  What this
means is that no information is carried in the amplitude of the
signal, and all of the magnetization is fully saturated.  This isn't
actually digital recording, but it's a lot closer than most people
seem to think.  (Note that many 'digital' recording systems use some
form of FM to actually record the information.)"  --Craig Jackson

    "Our group here at UW have decided to go with 4mm because it seems
to us it's the up and coming technology.  Some of the reasons we
decided this were that the published bit error rates are something
like 100 times lower with DAT, the DAT transport mechanism is simpler,
[therefore] less likely to break, and all the big players are siding
with DAT (Sony, Phillips, DEC, HP..).  As far as I know Exabyte is the
only one making 8mm drives.  I think [the] DAT drives fit the 5" form
factor if not the 3.5" so we could see them on PC's and such."
--Laurence Lundblade

Conclusion:  No clear advantage.  Only time will tell.

11. Maturity of the technology

    "People on the net (including this site) are quite fond of their
8mm drives but they are all newish so there is little known about
their long term functioning - compared to 9 track tapes for instance.
DAT is even newer."  --Gary Bridgewater

    "George [Goble] has spent about 2 years wringing out the Exabyte
and helping them get it right, so it is NOT "newish".  Further,
I know of noone in the world who is better at breaking hardware than
George, so if he's happy, I'll buy one sight-unseen.

    So, if you want to help someone debug their product, go buy a DAT
drive.  Otherwise, leverage the time spent by other folks who are very
good at helping people debug their products and buy one already
debugged!!" --Michael O'Dell

Conclusion:  Both are immature, but 8mm has a slight edge.

OVERALL CONCLUSION

Exabyte and DAT each have their pros and cons.  In order to decide
which is right for you, you need to match your particular needs to
these pros and cons.

Exabytes hold more and record faster (today), so they're good for
making backups.  Unfortunately, they seek very slowly, so they're not
as well-suited to restoring files from backups, or other non-backup
uses.

The quick seek capability of DATs makes them good for tertiary
storage: keeping large amounts of data on-line, but off the hard
disk.  It also makes multiple-dump files per tape more practical.

THE CONTRIBUTORS: (thanks again, guys)

Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation
gary@sv.dg.com,r {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary

Michael O'Dell, mo@messy.bellcore.com

Steven Parkes, Coordinated Science Laboratory, University of Illinois
steven@pacific.csl.uiuc.edu

George Robbins, Commodore, Engineering Department
{uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr, grr@cbmvax.commodore.com

Dominic Dunlop, The Standard Answer Ltd., domo@tsa.co.uk

Don Rice, University of Alaska Fairbanks
fnddr@acad3.fai.alaska.edu, fnddr@alaska (bitnet)

John Hascall, Project Vincent, ISU Computation Center
john@iastate.edu  /  hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

Greg Tarsa, Tarsa Software Consulting
tarsa@elijah.mv.com, {decuac,decvax}!elijah!tarsa

Jonathan Krueger, Defense Technical Information Center
jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil, uunet!dgis!jkrueger

Joe Smith, BT Tymnet Tech Services
jms@tardis.tymnet.com, jms@gemini.tymnet.com,
{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

Matthias Kandler, Inst. fuer Informatik
kandler@informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

Nathan Wilson, Teleos Research
nathan%teleos.com@ai.sri.com

Bill Nowicki, Legato Systems
nowicki@legato.com

Daniel Graifer, Franklin Mortgage Capital Corporation
uunet!dag@fmccva.franklin.com

Ed Falk, Sun Microsystems
sun!falk, falk@sun.com

J. Eric Townsend, University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics
jet@uh.edu, Bitnet: jet@UHOU

Robert Kinne, University of Colorado, Boulder
bobk@boulder.Colorado.EDU

Eduardo Krell, AT&T Bell Laboratories
{att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell, ekrell@ulysses.att.com

Jim, Interet
uunet!interet!jim

Craig Jackson, DRI/McGraw-Hill
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com
{bbn,axiom,redsox,atexnet,ka3ovk}!drilex!{dricej,dricejb}

Jack Churchill, CSIRO Division of Exploration Geoscience, Remote Sensing Group
churchill@decus.com.au

Sakari Jalovaara, Helsinki University of Technology
sja@sirius.hut.fi

Colin Plumb, Array Systems Computing, Inc.
colin@array.UUCP

Laurence Lundblade, Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington
lgl@cac.washington.edu

Anonymous, large european electronics firm, research
c/o de5@ornl.gov

DISCLAIMER: This information is provided without any warranty.  It
does not represent the official word of the companies employing the
contributors.
--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)		These are my opinions.
Martin Marietta Energy Systems

eggert@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert) (07/18/90)

Dave Sill's nice summary wrote:

	"DAT tapes cost $15.00 and seem to be going up in price."
	--uunet!interet!jim

We pay $7-$8 a tape for 8mm tapes (Sony P6-120MP) in small quantities.
This isn't the ``certified Exabyte tape'', but our drive is still working
after over a year, dumping about a gigabyte per day.