[comp.sys.dec] Looking for DCJ-11 Chipset

lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) (07/20/90)

First off, I'm quite sorry for the big Newsgroups: line, but I wanted to hit
anybody who might have this rather hard to find chipset.  I'm looking for a DEC
chipset internally called the DCJ-11-XX, where XX was a two-letter code unique
to each speed rating, though -KA indicated a prototype set with two 15Mhz chips
and documentation.  The proper chip numbers were 21-17677 for the data chip and
21-17679 for the control chip.  These chips were used in the KDJ-11 processor
modules, which were used in the PDP-11/73, 11/83, and 11/84 computers.

I have tried a number of sources for these chips, but have been unable to
locate them.  I know that some version of these chips was produced as late as
1988, as I have a DEC brochure, "Digital's Chip Family ; Semiconductor Products
for the Realtime Environment," which lists the DCJ-11.  The chips are billed as
 "A complete implementation of the PDP-11 procesor".  A number of DEC sales
reps couldn't find these chips, and though DECdirect finally identified the
chips I was talking about, they said that none were availiable. I don't know of
any compatibles ever being produced, and I tried a used chip distributor who
couldn't find the chips in question.  I am fairly certain that they are no
longer in production.  If anybody reading this has these chips, I will pay
reasonable prices for them, though they are not very useful to me without some
type of documentation.  Please send mail to me as lancelot@spock.UUCP,
simon@cs.columbia.edu, or DEC Easynet addresses ctoavx::simon or
greper::lancelot.  Thanks a lot.

Thor Simon
(A wanna-be PDP-11 hacker saddled with a plethora of fried processors...)

*Thor Simon             * Okay, just a little pin-prick...There'll be no more-*
*lancelot@spock.UUCP    * Aieeeeaaaugh!-but you may feel a little _sick_.     *
*uunet!hsi!yale!lancelot*   ---Pink Floyd                                     *

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.200159.19436@spock.UUCP>, lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
> First off, I'm quite sorry for the big Newsgroups: line, but I wanted to hit
> anybody who might have this rather hard to find chipset.  I'm looking for a DEC
> chipset internally called the DCJ-11-XX, where XX was a two-letter code unique
> to each speed rating, though -KA indicated a prototype set with two 15Mhz chips
> and documentation.  The proper chip numbers were 21-17677 for the data chip and
> 21-17679 for the control chip.  These chips were used in the KDJ-11 processor
> modules, which were used in the PDP-11/73, 11/83, and 11/84 computers.

  Ok, I'll followup in all the groups so y'all see the answer. Let's take it to
comp.sys.dec if we need to have more discussions...

  The exact part is DCJ11-AC for the 15 Mhz part, DCJ11-AE for the 18 Mhz part.
The corresponding floating point accelerator is FPJ11. These part numbers exist
in the DEC part number database, but you need a special DEC contract to buy
them. This is because DEC doesn't want other companies cutting into their PDP-
11 business. Last time I looked, the product manager for J11 chips was Cathy
Berida and she was willing to sell loose pieces, given a convincing reason. You
can also order the 15 Mhz part from DEC's "Unlisted Spares" program by calling
603-884-5001, asking for Unlisted Parts, and giving the part number as 57-19400
-04. I warn you, this is over $600. The (unavailable) 18 Mhz part is over $1000
but that's moot as you can't get them.

  These parts are still made, and are used in the recently-announced PDP-11/93
and /94 systems. You can get the following manual from DECdirect at 800-DIG-
ITAL: DCJ11 Microprocessor User's Guide, EK-DCJ11-UG. There is also a DCJ11
Data Sheet, ED-26921, but it's restricted distribution and you can't order it.
Both of these _only_ describe the 15 Mhz part.

  If you have a DEC board with a bad chip on it, you can use DEC's flat-rate
repair service (DECmailer) and it will cost less to swap the whole board than
to get the loose chip.

  On the other hand, if you're interested in building an '11 as a school pro-
ject, or are interested in OEMing a product based on the J11, send me mail
(address in .sig) and I'll put you in touch with the right DEC folks.

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (07/21/90)

In article <1990Jul19.200159.19436@spock.UUCP> lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>                                                          I'm looking for a DEC
>chipset internally called the DCJ-11-XX, where XX was a two-letter code unique
>to each speed rating, though -KA indicated a prototype set with two 15Mhz chips
>and documentation.  The proper chip numbers were 21-17677 for the data chip and
>21-17679 for the control chip.  These chips were used in the KDJ-11 processor
>modules, which were used in the PDP-11/73, 11/83, and 11/84 computers.

Why don't you just buy a PDP-11/73 CPU module ? They should be readily
available from the used computer vendors. Maybe $300 or so ? (I don't
get the MidWest Systems catalogues anymore, but I know people who do).
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM