[comp.sys.dec] Want info on VTnnn responses to ESC[c

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (07/24/90)

I'm looking for something which will allow me to make sense of the
various codes returned by VTnnn (nnn>=100) terminals when they are hit
with a 'what are you' sequence.  E.g. ESC[?1;<n>c seems to indicate a
VT100, where <n> is between 0 and 7 and (I hypothesize) somehow
indicates the presence of optional features.  An emulator we've got
which claims to look like a VT320 says ESC[?63;1;2;4;8;9;15c; another
which claims to look like a VT200 says ESC[?62;1;2;6;8;9c.  Again, I
hypothesize that the first number indicates type, and the trailing list
indicates features.  Specific things I'm looking for are:

1) How much of the string do I need to look at to determine the basic
terminal model, and what value(s) correspond to what model.  (This
would be enough info for my basic needs.)

2) (Less important) Does the rest of the list indeed indicate
subfeatures, and if so, which values indicate what features?  Do these
values have the same, or similar, meanings across models?

Does anyone have this information in a form that could be emailed to
me?  Or, is there some official 'summary' DEC document that I could
order from DEC UK as an interested individual who doesn't have a
customer account?  (I don't REALLY want a complete set of DEC
VT-terminal manuals.)  For my purposes, info up to VT220 would be
sufficient, as we don't have many higher numbers lying around.  Out of
general curiosity, though, info on higher models would also be
interesting if you've got it.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

pdsmith@bbn.com (Peter D. Smith) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.102646.22766@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>I'm looking for something which will allow me to make sense of the
>various codes returned by VTnnn (nnn>=100) terminals when they are hit
>with a 'what are you' sequence.  E.g. ESC[?1;<n>c seems to indicate a
[..deleted..]
>--
>Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

This is far, far more than you wanted, but I had it handy....

I have taken the information below from the following manuals:
1) VT330/VT340 Programmer Reference Manual Volumn 1 page 197
2) VT240series Programmer Reference Manual page 100
3) VT220 Programmer Reference Manual page 94
4) VT125 User Guide page 4-33
5) VT105 Graphic Terminal User's manual page 2-15
6) VT100 User Guide page 46
7) VK100 (sic) GIGI Terminal Installation and Owner's Manual page 68
8) VT55-E,F,H,J DECgrpahic Scope Users' Manual page 5-18
9) Decscope User's Manual page 22

I'm ignoring terminals like the VT80 and VT286 (Japanese version)

Terminal Responces:
The terminal responds by sending its sevice code and basic attributes to the
host.  This responce deponds on the terminal's current operating level (VT100
or VT300).

Format of returned data (VT100 and up)
	CSI ? Psc; Ps1; ... Psn c

VT5x use the ESC Z query command and respond as follows:
	TERMINAL        WITH(/OUT) COPIER
	VT50            na      ESC/A
	VT50H           ESC/J   ESC/H
	VT52            ESC/L   ESC/K
	VT55            ESC/C   ESC/C
	VT55 E,F,H,J    ESC/E   ESC/E

Terminals VT100 through VT199
Psc     Operating Level
1       VT100
5       VK100 (GIGI)
12      VT125

Ps1 indicates the combination of extensions
0       No options
1       STP Processor option
2       AVO Advanced Video options (132 character AND 24 lines! Wow!)
3       STP & AVO
4       GPO Graphics Option
5       GPO and STP
6       GPO and AVO
7       GPO and STP and AVO

A VT125 has the GPO and STP options, so it will return either a 5 or 7.

Ps2 is for the VT125 only
0       No printer
1       Printer attached to the printer port

Ps3 is for the VT125 only
<ROM version>

VT200 and higher:
Psc     Operating Level
61      Level 1 (VT100 family)
62      Level 2 (VT200 family)
63      Level 3 (VT300 family)

Ps1..Psn indicate which of the following extensions the terminal supports.
The items marked (sic) are duplicate values or generally poor ideas (eg,
the rom version)

Ps      Meaning
1       132 columns
2       Printer Port
3       ReGIS graphics
4       Sixel graphics
5       AVO option (132 char wide) *NOT* installed
6       Selective erase
7       Soft character set (DRCS)
8       User-defined keys
9       National replacement character sets
12      Terminal is a VT125
13      Local editing mode
15      Technical character set
16      Locator device port
18      Windowing capability
19      Dual sessions

All return values preceeded with ESC[?
VT5x use the ESC Z query command and respond as follows:
	TERMINAL        WITH(/OUT) COPIER
	VT50            na      ESC/A
	VT50H           ESC/J   ESC/H
	VT52            ESC/L   ESC/K
	VT55            ESC/C   ESC/C
	VT55 E,F,H,J    ESC/E   ESC/E
VK100 will return 5c or 5;0c
VT100 will return 1;[0 to 7]c
VT105 will return 1;[0 to 7]c
VT125 will return 12;[5 or 7];[0 or 1];[Rom Version]
VT220 will return 62;1;2;6;7;8;9c
VT240 will return 62;1;2;3;4;6;7;8;9c
VT300 will return 63;1;2;3;4;6;7;8;9;13;15;16;18;19c

price@chukls.ucs.dec.com (Chuck Price) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul24.102646.22766@gdr.bath.ac.uk>, exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:

> I'm looking for something which will allow me to make sense of the
> various codes returned by VTnnn (nnn>=100) terminals when they are hit
> with a 'what are you' sequence.  E.g. ESC[?1;<n>c seems to indicate a
> VT100, where <n> is between 0 and 7 and (I hypothesize) somehow
> indicates the presence of optional features.  An emulator we've got
> which claims to look like a VT320 says ESC[?63;1;2;4;8;9;15c; another
> which claims to look like a VT200 says ESC[?62;1;2;6;8;9c.  Again, I
> hypothesize that the first number indicates type, and the trailing list
> indicates features.  Specific things I'm looking for are:
>
> 1) How much of the string do I need to look at to determine the basic
> terminal model, and what value(s) correspond to what model.  (This
> would be enough info for my basic needs.)
>
> 2) (Less important) Does the rest of the list indeed indicate
> subfeatures, and if so, which values indicate what features?  Do these
> values have the same, or similar, meanings across models?
>
> Does anyone have this information in a form that could be emailed to
> me?  Or, is there some official 'summary' DEC document that I could
> order from DEC UK as an interested individual who doesn't have a
> customer account?  (I don't REALLY want a complete set of DEC
> VT-terminal manuals.)  For my purposes, info up to VT220 would be
> sufficient, as we don't have many higher numbers lying around.  Out of
> general curiosity, though, info on higher models would also be
> interesting if you've got it.

All the information you require is contained in a small manual entitled
VT330/VT340 Programmer Reference Manual (Vol 1: Text Programming). It's DEC
number is EK-VT3XX-TP-002. Your local sales office should be able to
help you get this.

In the mean time, here is what the message means:

The return value from a "who are you" sequence is of the form

   CSI ? Psc ; Ps1 ;  ... Psn c

Where CSI is the Control Sequence Initiator ( ESC [ ),

Psc is one of: (this is a subset of the full list, I believe)

  1  VT100
  6  VT102
  12 VT125
  7   VT131
  62 VT200 series (220 or 240)
  63 VT300 series (330, 340...)

Ps1 - Psn indicate what options are available on the terminal, as follows:

	1	132 columns
	2	Printer port
	3	ReGIS graphics
	4	Sixel graphics
	6	Selective erase
	7	Soft character set (DRCS)
	8	User-defined keys
	9	National replacement character sets
	13	Local editing mode
	15	Technical character set
	16	Locator device port
	18	Windowing capability
	19	Dual sessions

This is an incomplete list of the possible values which can be returned, but it
should get you going. Your local sales office should be able to get you more
detailed information in the form of a programming manual.

-chuck