[comp.sys.dec] VT1000 RS232 port

niermann@colgate.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Niermann) (07/26/90)

I resently got a VT1000 and would like to write a Fortran program which will
be able to send and receive data from the RS232 port. This is on a VMS system.

How do I configure the port to allow this?

How would I access it from the Fortran Program, i.e. What should the name be
that I open?

Thanks
Tom Niermann

niermann@crhc.uiuc.edu or
niermann@csg.uiuc.edu

wsm@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Wayne Myles) (07/28/90)

niermann@colgate.crhc.uiuc.edu (Tom Niermann) writes:

>I resently got a VT1000 and would like to write a Fortran program which will
>be able to send and receive data from the RS232 port. This is on a VMS system.

>How do I configure the port to allow this?

>How would I access it from the Fortran Program, i.e. What should the name be
>that I open?

>Tom Niermann

Your request is a little confusing.  Are you asking whether the serial
port on the VT1000 can be addressed as a device on the VAX?  No.  The
serial port on the VT1000 corresponds to a special VT320 emulator in
the VT1000 ("Create session on Host port").

There is no name as such.  It is simply a software construct that behaves
like a Vt320 out of the RS232 port.

The "Create LAT session" menu entry uses the "virtual DECserver" in your
terminal to create a perfectly normal LTAxxx: terminal session.  It just
happens to be much *slower* than a VT320 :-(

Wayne.