[comp.sys.dec] How to build GNU emacs 18.52 on DS3100?

tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) (07/27/90)

[This is my 2nd posting of this message.  My 1st generated no responses.]

Our first stab failed.  Before we go any farther, if anybody has successfully
built version 18.52 of GNU emacs on a DS3100 (Ultrix Worksystem V2.0), please
email me which config files and mods you used.
--
     ____     ____
    | __ | /||___ |

iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (07/28/90)

In article <447@adiron.UUCP> tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) writes:
>[This is my 2nd posting of this message.  My 1st generated no responses.]
>
>Our first stab failed.  Before we go any farther, if anybody has successfully
>built version 18.52 of GNU emacs on a DS3100 (Ultrix Worksystem V2.0), please
>email me which config files and mods you used.

You should get a copy of GNU Emacs v18.55, which has support for the
DECstations in it.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (07/29/90)

In article <26B1AB96.18773@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:

   In article <447@adiron.UUCP> tro@adiron.UUCP (Tom Olin) writes:
   >[This is my 2nd posting of this message.  My 1st generated no responses.]
   >
   >Our first stab failed.  Before we go any farther, if anybody has successfully
   >built version 18.52 of GNU emacs on a DS3100 (Ultrix Worksystem V2.0), please
   >email me which config files and mods you used.

   You should get a copy of GNU Emacs v18.55, which has support for the
   DECstations in it.

More to the point, DEC should ship GNU Emacs v18.55 on their
unsupported software tape, rather than earlier versions.  Not fixed in
Ultrix 4.0, i.e. the subset UDXEDIT400 on the tape AQ-MM12B-BE
00MUB8495A, "Ultrix/UWS V4.0 (RISC) UNSUPPORTED SUBSETS" Copyright
1990 Digital Equipment Corporation) is ./usr/new/gnuemacs.18.51.tar.Z.

Unsupported should not mean not working.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.archives moderator

bvr@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Lynn Young) (07/31/90)

This mail message was forwarded to me this summer from someone who got
it from the new network.  I successfully installed the latest version
of GNUemacs on a DECstation 3100 (ultrix) with the following information.

>From mentor.cc.purdue.edu!noose.ecn.purdue.edu!samsung!cs.utexas.edu!rutgers!shelby!connie@psych.Stanford.EDU Sun May 13 11:04:01 EST 1990
Article 2625 of comp.sys.dec:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec,gnu.emacs
Subject: compiling emacs 18-55 on ds3100 not a problem after all.
Date: 12 May 90 21:41:50 GMT
Sender: connie@psych.Stanford.EDU (Constance Stillinger)

It turned out that I had merely specified the wrong configuration
files.  For anyone else out there who's interested -- when you're
instructed to include the right "m-" and "s-" files in config.h, that
means m-pmax.h and s-bsd4-2.h to those of use using ds3100's.

18.55 corrected some of the problems I was having with an earlier
version.  The popup "filecard" menus are really neat, too.

Constance Stillinger
connie@psych.stanford.edu  (Now ass't prof. at Northwestern Univ.)
-------