[comp.sys.dec] Pinouts for connection of terminal to DEC/EIA-423

jw@innovative.com (Jay Whitney) (07/28/90)

Dear net,

	I need to know the pinouts for the DEC/EIA-423 serial ports
found on the back of the 3100s.  Also -- would anyone have any idea
how to build an adapter like the H8571-A to connect an RS232 terminal
to a DECconnect DEC/EIA-423 VAXstation?  (To the printer port, if that
makes a difference).  Moreover, has anyone done it?

						Thanks,
						Jay Whitney
--
Internet:  jw@innovative.com			Innovative Software
UUCP:      {uunet,rutgers}!innsoft!jw		Seattle, Washington

a088568@dvss01.mdcbbs.com (08/03/90)

In article <627@innovative.com>, jw@innovative.com (Jay Whitney) writes:
> Dear net,
>
> 	I need to know the pinouts for the DEC/EIA-423 serial ports
> found on the back of the 3100s.  Also -- would anyone have any idea
> how to build an adapter like the H8571-A to connect an RS232 terminal
> to a DECconnect DEC/EIA-423 VAXstation?  (To the printer port, if that
> makes a difference).  Moreover, has anyone done it?
>
> 						Thanks,
> 						Jay Whitney
> --
> Internet:  jw@innovative.com			Innovative Software
> UUCP:      {uunet,rutgers}!innsoft!jw		Seattle, Washington
If you have the manual installing and using the VT330/340 it is in appendix E:
page 222.

pin	signal			Mnemonic
1	data terminal ready	dtr
2	tramsmitted data	txd
3	transmitted data return	-
4	received data return	-
5	received data		rxd
6	data set ready		-

I have only used this from VT330 VT340. I hooked up a modem to the MMJ port by
hooking a MMJ RJ11 cable to a RJ11 to RS232. the RJ11 adaptor is wired like
this
                        ---
                    p p p p p p
                    i i i i i i