[comp.sys.dec] Any one seen or heard of DEC's 4mm DAT drive?

lgl@cac.washington.edu (Laurence Lundblade) (08/07/90)

There's a rumor, according to Digital Review, that DEC 4mm tape
drives don't work very well, if at all, and that DEC is giving VAX
4000 customers 8mm drives instead of 4mm drives. We've had one on order
from DEC for a while now and are wondering when and what we might get.
Thanks for your comments.

Laurence Lundblade                       206-543-5617
  lgl@cac.washington.edu
     Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle

--

root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) (08/09/90)

lgl@cac.washington.edu (Laurence Lundblade) writes:

>There's a rumor, according to Digital Review, that DEC 4mm tape
>drives don't work very well, if at all, and that DEC is giving VAX
>4000 customers 8mm drives instead of 4mm drives. We've had one on order
>from DEC for a while now and are wondering when and what we might get.
>Thanks for your comments.

>Laurence Lundblade                       206-543-5617
>  lgl@cac.washington.edu
>     Networks and Distributed Computing, U of Washington, Seattle

This is third hand, but one local group was *supposed* to have theirs
back in May, and were recently promised delivery of the DEC 4mm by the
middle of August.  Well, similar to your finding, I have heard that it
may now be *NOVEMBER*!!!  I heard one user comment that come the middle
of the month, something (4 or 8mm) had best better be on a truck headed
their way!  :-)  They also had a bad experience with Inbound SCSI
harddisk drives not talking DEC SCSI (this was on a DecStation 3100)
and I think another 3rd party 4mm SCSI drive as well.

That is about all I have heard.

Mark.

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (08/10/90)

In article <649@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM> root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey)
writes:
>They also had a bad experience with Inbound SCSI
>harddisk drives not talking DEC SCSI (this was on a DecStation 3100)
>and I think another 3rd party 4mm SCSI drive as well.

I'm not sure what Mark means by 'inbound SCSI harddisk drives', but I have this
comment to offer: we purchased an MV3100 (Ultrix 3.x) and a pair of Fuji
M22633s 665 MB drives.  It turns out there is a cacheing problem in the disk
firmware that results in disk corruption.  This is known by DEC (in Santa
Clara, at least) and Fujitsu to corrupt data in a VMS environment.  We have had
just enough problems getting our Ultrix system up to believe we have the same
problem.

This makes me wonder if DEC has changed something in their SCSI interface...

--
kral * 408/647-6112 * {uunet|amdahl}!drivax!braun * braun%drivax@uunet.uu.net
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."