[comp.sys.dec] Can I safely remove a SCSI device from a running DEC3100

johan@dutnak2..tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (08/10/90)

We have an Exabyte connected to a DECstation 3100. Every now and then
we want to connect it to another machine. BUT, we don't want to shut
down the DEC, since it acts as a cheap fileserver for a lot of users.

We are not sure if we can safely do this.
Anyone on the net doing it all the time?

--
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) (08/11/90)

We swap TK50s around all the time here - it works fine as long as the machine
you are putting it on had a tape on it at boot time or it won't be recognized.

*Thor Simon             * Okay, just a little pin-prick...There'll be no more-*
*lancelot@spock.UUCP    * Aieeeeaaaugh!-but you may feel a little _sick_.     *
*uunet!hsi!yale!lancelot*   ---Pink Floyd                                     *

In article <johan.650293716@dutnak2> johan@dutnak2..tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) writes:
> We have an Exabyte connected to a DECstation 3100. Every now and then
> we want to connect it to another machine. BUT, we don't want to shut
> down the DEC, since it acts as a cheap fileserver for a lot of users.
>
> We are not sure if we can safely do this.

If the SCSI bus is active, with disks and things running, you stand a real
good chance of trashing disk transfers in progress.  Also, SCSI isn't set
up for "hot" connection/disconnection, no protection for the drivers or
receivers so you'd probably zap something fairly quickly unless you power
down both sides.

> Anyone on the net doing it all the time?

Probably.  8-)

nraoaoc@nmt.edu (NRAO Array Operations Center) (08/11/90)

In article <1990Aug10.173348.4125@spock.UUCP> lancelot@spock.UUCP (Thor Lancelot Simon) writes:
>We swap TK50s around all the time here - it works fine as long as the machine
>you are putting it on had a tape on it at boot time or it won't be recognized.

I didn't think TK50's were SCSI devices, though I don't know about on 3100's.
What you describe sounds awfully like the way VMS treats them.

On Suns I have found that you *can* disconnect SCSI devices so long as:

   a) nobody tries to access any SCSI device on the bus while you are working,
   b) you have an easy way of moving the terminator if necessary

The second point is important, since you don't want to leave the SCSI bus
unterminated. External or inline terminators make this easy, or if the device
to be removed is in the middle of a daisy chain.

If the disks your system serves are SCSI, though, forget it. The only way
you can guarantee point a) is to unexport them all, in which case you might
as well just shut the system down anyway.

Disclaimer: no promises, it has worked for me.
--
Ruth Milner
Systems Manager                     NRAO/VLA                    Socorro NM

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/13/90)

>>We swap TK50s around all the time here - it works fine as long as the machine
>>you are putting it on had a tape on it at boot time or it won't be
recognized.

>I didn't think TK50's were SCSI devices, though I don't know about on 3100's.
>What you describe sounds awfully like the way VMS treats them.

TK50Z's are SCSI devices; they are used with VS3100's, DS2100's,
DS3100's and DS5000's (and probably whatever else you want to plug it
into that supports SCSI).  Vanilla TK50's (which plug into VS2000's and
some of the Microvaxen) aren't quite SCSI (before we'd learned to do it
right...  Sigh...).
				- Jim