[comp.sys.dec] DECserver software for Ultrix 4.0

emd@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Michael Deutscher) (08/16/90)

We recently purchased a used DECserver 2000 ethernet terminal concentrator for our 5000, but do not have the software which gets downloaded to it in order for it to work. While many sites on our campus are using DECservers, they're all running under VMS, and the DEC reps here are still looking for an answer. We'd appreciate any advice anyone could give us about this.

Thanks.

Tom Wells @emd's account
Sound Synthesis Studios
The Ohio State University

In article <1984@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> emd@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Michael Deutscher) writes:
> We recently purchased a used DECserver 2000 ethernet terminal concentrator
> for our 5000, but do not have the software which gets downloaded to it in
> order for it to work. While many sites on our campus are using DECservers,
> they're all running under VMS, and the DEC reps here are still looking for
> an answer. We'd appreciate any advice anyone could give us about this.

If you can't get the Ultrix flavor of the supporting software, get the VMS
version and transfer the load file with FTP or whatever - be sure to use
"binary mode".  The format of the VMS binary load image is compatible with
the Ultrix MOP support, and with appropriate entries in the DECnet node
database, Ultrix can download most devices.

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/18/90)

There is a kit for Ultrix, but if you already are booting them from VMS,
you might just copy the file to Ultrix (image mode), as the bits are
identical.  Then set up mop to boot the device using the file you copied.

(i.e. there is nothing different about what bits want to be loaded into
the DECserver; the different distributions are just to make it convenient to
read the distributions.).
			- Jim