[comp.sys.dec] Where to buy cheap DEC3100 SIMMs?

johan@dutnak2..tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (08/16/90)

The subject says it all. We're looking for companies
that sell memory for our 3100 DecStation.

--
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak0.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands

sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) (08/17/90)

Clearpoint

508-435-2000

Standard Memories

800-543-3323

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/18/90)

In article <15500016@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:

   Clearpoint
   508-435-2000

Wasn't shipping them, gave me a price quote that was about 3x what I
considered a fair price for memories.

   Standard Memories
   800-543-3323

Offered a 7 day shipping time, at a price that was about 2x what I
considered fair.

I'm not going to quote prices cause they aren't necessarily the price you'd
get, but for point of comparison I can outfit a Sun SS1+ with memory at
a price for which I'm prepared to spend 50% more on and still be reasonably
happy.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>

In article <EMV.90Aug17190342@duby.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> In article <15500016@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> sritacco@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Steve Ritacco) writes:
>
>    Clearpoint
>    508-435-2000
>
> Wasn't shipping them, gave me a price quote that was about 3x what I
> considered a fair price for memories.

Funny, I bought some Clearpoint ones months ago thru a third party - work good.

>    Standard Memories
>    800-543-3323
>
> Offered a 7 day shipping time, at a price that was about 2x what I
> considered fair.
>
> I'm not going to quote prices cause they aren't necessarily the price you'd
> get, but for point of comparison I can outfit a Sun SS1+ with memory at
> a price for which I'm prepared to spend 50% more on and still be reasonably
> happy.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that, unlike Sun or Mac SIMM's,
the one for the DS3100 are a custom design, rather than being stock memory
manufacturer products resold at a competitive markup.  I guess this doesn't
bother DEC and it's nothing compared to the pain of VAX6000/DS58XX XMI
memory boards...