[comp.sys.dec] DECstation 3100 serial ports

ltf@ncmicro.ncmnet.com (Lance Franklin) (08/18/90)

Can anybody supply me with pinouts for the DECstation 3100's two serial
ports, plus hints on making cables from (hopefully) commonly available
materials?

Also, what are the upgrade paths for these ports...any way to increase
the speed beyond 9600 baud, add modem-control lines or add extra
serial ports without major additional costs?

Finally...why did DEC(tm) make such a nice computer with such lousy
serial communications support?

Thanks....Lance

(.sig pending)

ttl@sti.fi (Timo Lehtinen) (08/21/90)

In article <108@ncmicro.ncmnet.com> ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:
>Can anybody supply me with pinouts for the DECstation 3100's two serial
>ports, plus hints on making cables from (hopefully) commonly available
>materials?
>
>Also, what are the upgrade paths for these ports...any way to increase
>the speed beyond 9600 baud, add modem-control lines or add extra
>serial ports without major additional costs?
>
>Finally...why did DEC(tm) make such a nice computer with such lousy
>serial communications support?

This has hit me too. In fact we're upgrading to a DS5000 for basically
just this reason. As far as I know there's no upgrade path other than
use a DECserver via ethernet, which can go up to 19200 and has modem
controls.

As for cables, I believe the only painless way is to get them from DEC.

Timo

--
       ____/ ___   ___/    /		Kivihaantie 8 C 25
      /           /       /		SF-00310 HELSINKI, Finland

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (08/22/90)

If I was willing to tell you the story as to why the 3100s has such
serial ports, you'd find it hard to believe.

But as I still enjoy working for Digital, you'll have to remain curious...

Note that we did fix it on the DS5000...
			- Jim