[comp.sys.dec] Unix for PDP-11/23s

aha@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu (Advanced Hardware) (08/17/90)

Hi -

Could anyone give me a summary of the available versions of UNIX for the
PDP-11/23s?  I got a mostly un-document system about a month ago and
it has only the barest of RT-11 software on it.  I would be interested in
learning what UNIX is available and what I need in the way of HW to
run such.

If it helps, my current configuration is:

	PDP-11/23s (KDF11-B in a BA11-M with 32K CMOS RAM)
	Additional 128K DRAM
	2 x 20Meg HD
	TK 70 cart. tape drive

	Thanks in advance for any help!

	Eric Schneider, Advanced Hardware Architectures
	PO BOX 9669  Moscow, ID  (208) 883-8000
	aha@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu or eric@wsu.edu or eric@cs2.cs.wsu.edu

--

rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) (08/19/90)

In article <1990Aug17.055124.28953@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu>, aha@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu (Advanced Hardware) writes:
> Hi -
>
> Could anyone give me a summary of the available versions of UNIX for the
> PDP-11/23s?  I got a mostly un-document system about a month ago and
> it has only the barest of RT-11 software on it.  I would be interested in
> learning what UNIX is available and what I need in the way of HW to
> run such.
>
> If it helps, my current configuration is:
>
> 	PDP-11/23s (KDF11-B in a BA11-M with 32K CMOS RAM)
> 	Additional 128K DRAM
> 	2 x 20Meg HD
> 	TK 70 cart. tape drive

I hope we hear something better soon, but I started a dialog on this
two months ago (I have an 11/73).  The summary is this:

1. Of the four operating systems once offered for the PDP-11, RSX, RT-11,
RSTS, and Ultrix, Digital has discontinued only one: Ultrix (Unix).
So much for Digital's commitment to Unix.

2. Berkeley 2.10 is available from UCB, IF you have an AT&T source license
($10K?) and IF you have an old, non-MSCP drive (sorry!) and IF you have
a 9-track tape drive (FORGET the TK-70!).

3. Venturecom has discontinued Venix for the PDP-11.  IF they had a machine,
they'd sell it for around $2000.

4. uniq (1-800-DEC-UNIX) has also discontinued their PDP-11 version.  They
are friendly, but apologetic.

My DEC salesman is seeing if they have an old Ultrix-11 tape kicking around
he can offer to me without support, but it's been over a month and I haven't
heard anything.

So there you have it - the summary of available Unix versions for the PDP-11
is that THERE AREN'T ANY.

--

Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr

verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) (08/19/90)

DEC had (at one time) a non-product called V7M1 which was version 7 Unix,
with DEC device drivers and a couple of goodies like red (rand editor).
Someone might have an old tape... I can't find mine... I swore off PDP-11s
a number of years ago.  You might want to check with Mark Williams
about coherent (a v7 clone) and with Whitesmiths about Idris.  At one
time both companies supported pdp-11s.... they may still.

--mark

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp> rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodma
>In article <1990Aug17.055124.28953@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu>, aha@snoopy.ece.wsu.edu
>> Could anyone give me a summary of the available versions of UNIX for the
>> PDP-11/23s?
>
>2. Berkeley 2.10 is available from UCB, IF you have an AT&T source license
>($10K?) and IF you have an old, non-MSCP drive (sorry!) and IF you have
>a 9-track tape drive (FORGET the TK-70!).
>
>So there you have it - the summary of available Unix versions for the PDP-11
>is that THERE AREN'T ANY.

    But as you pointed out, it is available with a source license from UCB.
Many educational sites have these licenses, and they are available to everyone.
Something not being affordable (or reasonable) isn't the same as not being
available.  Now if anyone could possible live with 2.10.
   I was absolutely positive that dec dropeed it, and basically gave it to
decus.  I also positively remember being it in the decus catalog.  Has anyone
looked there ?  Then there is aloways the GNU project,  I also am positive that
the 11 is one of the platforms under development there too.  I even believe
that it is available there too.
al

terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp>, rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) writes:

> 2. Berkeley 2.10 is available from UCB, IF you have an AT&T source license
> ($10K?) and IF you have an old, non-MSCP drive (sorry!) and IF you have
> a 9-track tape drive (FORGET the TK-70!).

  Well, you really can't fault Berkeley for the AT&T restrictions 8-).

  2.10BSD wants a CPU with I/D space (which leaves out the '23) and float-
ing point (standard on '73, optional on '23), and (last I looked) at least
512Kb of memory. You might be able to work around any one of these individ-
ually, but 2 or more missing would be problematic.

  I just did a man ra on my 2.10 11/70, and it's there. I know of others
who have used the driver, although I don't use it here. Also, I believe that
TK50/70 support is being added. Of course, support is not the same thing as
being distributed in that format, but it should be possible to build a TK70
kit if needed.

> So there you have it - the summary of available Unix versions for the PDP-11
> is that THERE AREN'T ANY.

  I think that's a bit harsh, given the above. Also, AT&T did offer a System
III for the PDP-11 (_that_ was the Unix with no MSCP support) as well as a
System V (.1?) for the 11/70 only. I don't know if they still offer them, you'd
have to ask...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp>, rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick
Rodman) writes...

>1. Of the four operating systems once offered for the PDP-11, RSX, RT-11,
>RSTS, and Ultrix, Digital has discontinued only one: Ultrix (Unix).
>So much for Digital's commitment to Unix.

OOooohhhh, Big Bad Digital!  Give me a break.

Digital GAVE (as in "free") the source code of the last version of Ultrix-11 to
Berkeley expecting it to stay alive that way, rather than freezing it and
offering it as an archival product with no development and bug fixes -- the
nearly nonexistent customer demand just doesn't warrant it.  It's now available
from Usenix, by arrangement with Berkeley I'd guess.

---Pete

kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com
+1 508 480 4345 (machine: +1 617 641 3450)

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp> rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) writes:

>1. Of the four operating systems once offered for the PDP-11, RSX, RT-11,
>RSTS, and Ultrix, Digital has discontinued only one: Ultrix (Unix).
>So much for Digital's commitment to Unix.

This is, of course, silly.  Sun does not provide Unix for the Sun
100U's anymore either (Nothing since 3.2 supported them, I think).  HP
does not provide Unix for the HP9000/200 anymore, either.  I haven't
seen eithers commitment to Unix waver.

The simple fact of the matter is DEC is still selling PDP archetecture
machines to do real-time and process control sorts of things, but
considering you can by many VAX models (VS2000, etc) for less than the
cost of a new PDP-11, I really doubt people we're beating down the
door to buy Ultrix/11 (*if*, in fact, they ever were...I have heard
that there never were more than a very few thousand Ultrix/11 sites).

Moral of the story:  If you want to run a machine that hasn't even
been produced in 5+ years, don't get wacked out of shape if the
manufacturer has left you behind...

--

	ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."

In article <VERBER.90Aug19105302@capemay.mps.ohio-state.edu> verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (Mark Verber) writes:
>DEC had (at one time) a non-product called V7M1 which was version 7 Unix,
>with DEC device drivers and a couple of goodies like red (rand editor).

I thought this was plain old vanilla V7.  GaTech used to run it on an
11/45 (long before my time...).

>Someone might have an old tape... I can't find mine... I swore off PDP-11s
>a number of years ago.

I'm sure there are quite a few of these old tapes laying around.  The
one at Tech seems to have disappeared (Radio Techwood (campus pirate
radio station) tried to resurect the 11/45 and looked for the tape).

I know it is "illegal" to pass a tape like this on to someone, but
what is the practical limitations on passing on a V7 Unix tape (surely
noone cares at this point...)?

--

In article <1990Aug19.144332.477@spcvxb.spc.edu> terry@spcvxb.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy, Operations Mgr) writes:

>  2.10BSD wants a CPU with I/D space (which leaves out the '23) and float-
>ing point (standard on '73, optional on '23), and (last I looked) at least
>512Kb of memory. You might be able to work around any one of these individ-
>ually, but 2 or more missing would be problematic.

If I am not mistaken, 2.9BSD is still availible and runs on non-split
I/D machines.  Of course, the old V7 stuff ran on non-split machines
also.

Now all you need is an AT&T source license and you can rock-n-roll ;').

--

minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp>, rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick
Rodman) writes...

>1. Of the four operating systems once offered for the PDP-11, RSX, RT-11,
>RSTS, and Ultrix, Digital has discontinued only one: Ultrix (Unix).
>So much for Digital's commitment to Unix.

Digital has also "discontinued" several other operating systems for
the PDP-11:

-- Dos-11 and Dos-Batch.  (replaced by RT11).
-- IOX (paper-tape operating system).
-- Caps-11 (IOX for casette tapes).
-- RSTS-11 (RSTS/E running on an 11/20; replaced by RSTS/E).
-- RSX-11D (replaced by RSX-11M and IAS).
-- RSX-11B and -C (replaced by RSX-11S (?) and RSX-11M).  Hmm, maybe
   RSX-11S is also obsolete.
-- RSX-11A (replaced by other RSX variants).
-- Multi-user Basic (4 Basic-users on an unmapped PDP-11).
-- Focal (stand-alone).
-- Mumps-11 (replaced by Digital Standard Mumps).
-- Trax-11.

Most of these appeared and disappeared in the early to mid 1970's.
All of them were "operating systems" in the sense that they had a
command-line interface and a centralized mechanism for device-independent
I/O.  Some of them, such as RSTS-11, had "systems programs" written in a high-
level language.  (RSX-11A, -B, -C, and -S were intended for embedded systems
rather than programming and often did not have either command-line,
programming, or file systems).

Martin Minow.
minow@bolt.enet.dec.com

thor@stout.atd.ucar.edu (Rich Neitzel) (08/20/90)

In article <1860@mountn.dec.com>, minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) writes:
|>-- RSX-11B and -C (replaced by RSX-11S (?) and RSX-11M).  Hmm, maybe
|>   RSX-11S is also obsolete.
According to the Summer-Fall 1990 DECdirect RSX-11S is still alive and kicking.

Richard Neitzel thor@thor.atd.ucar.edu	     	Torren med sitt skjegg
National Center For Atmospheric Research	lokkar borni under sole-vegg
Box 3000 Boulder, CO 80307-3000			Gjo'i med sitt shinn
303-497-2057					jagar borni inn.

rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick Rodman) (08/23/90)

In article <14695@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kaiser@cheese.enet.dec.com writes:

> In article <1990Aug19.034635.26429@virtech.uucp>, rickr@virtech.uucp (Rick
> Rodman) writes...
>
> >1. Of the four operating systems once offered for the PDP-11, RSX, RT-11,
> >RSTS, and Ultrix, Digital has discontinued only one: Ultrix (Unix).
> >So much for Digital's commitment to Unix.
>
> OOooohhhh, Big Bad Digital!  Give me a break.

Your sarcasm is stupid.  I point out that DEC's recent claims of commitment
to Unix are hypocritical.  I like DEC's hardware, but in the last few years
they have turned from the company that built machines that were better to the
company that does anything to lock people into their product.  Now if you
can't discuss things like that rationally, go suck an egg.

> Digital GAVE (as in "free") the source code of the last version of Ultrix-11 to

Big deal - that doesn't help consumers any.

> Berkeley expecting it to stay alive that way, rather than freezing it and
> offering it as an archival product with no development and bug fixes -- the
> nearly nonexistent customer demand just doesn't warrant it.  It's now available

"Nearly nonexistent customer demand"?  Do you see people on Usenet asking for
RSTS or RT-11?  But I suppose people on Usenet don't count.

> from Usenix, by arrangement with Berkeley I'd guess.

Meaning that it's only available to rich folks or academia.

I'm pleased (maybe) to see so many people rushing to confirm EVERYTHING I said
in my posting.  In summary:  Unless you have sixty-five or more thousand
dollars lying around or work for a company or a university that does or
already has a source license, UNIX IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE PDP-11.

--

Rick Rodman      uunet!virtech!rickr