[comp.sys.dec] Multiprocessor MicroVAX II upgrade?

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (08/22/90)

--

Can a normal MicroVAX II be upgraded to multiprocessing (nee Firefly)
and take advantage of the SMP enhancements in Ultrix 4.0?  If so, at

Thanks...

--

	ken seefried iii		ken@dali.gatech.edu

	"Vee haf veyz off making you talk...release da veasles..."

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (08/24/90)

In article <12858@hydra.gatech.EDU>, ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

> Can a normal MicroVAX II be upgraded to multiprocessing (nee Firefly)
> and take advantage of the SMP enhancements in Ultrix 4.0?  If so, at
> what cost?

The only QBUS SMP machine I'm aware of (the Firefox) would need an entirely
new box since it's system bus is the MBus rather than the QBus. There's a
QBus adapter for it to make it a QBus machine, you see.

Given that you would be buying a new box, new CPUs, new memory, etc., when
does an upgrade stop being an upgrade and become a new machine?

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633